Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How strict are the proctors with "pencils down?"

CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
in General 550 karma

I am still struggling with timing in some sections. At the 5 minute mark when I take practice PT's, I am still bubbling in the last question as the proctor (app) says "Pencils down" (like, filling in the oval). If were to do that during a real exam, would it be an issue? Or does pencils down mean drop your pencil immediately, without filling in the rest of the oval you were bubbling?

Sounds like a small question but I just had to ask.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

It depends on the proctor, but I have heard of people getting kicked out for not putting pencils down immediately. It would be in your best interest to get used to having everything bubbled in before your pencil needs to be down and time is called.

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Thanks Alex. I thought as much, but of course wanted to double check beforehand.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

This is a subject that we must be absolutely strict with ourselves towards. We should air on the side of caution and take pencils down to mean precisely that: pencils down at that moment. As was previously mentioned, stories abound about people getting kicked out or sternly warned for not putting pencils down, a stern warning can derail confidence for the next section.

We must train so bubbling is never an issue, for it would be truly unfortunate if we knew the material but were asked to leave due to not putting our pencils down.

David

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

@CinnamonTea said:
    I am still struggling with timing in some sections. At the 5 minute mark when I take practice PT's, I am still bubbling in the last question as the proctor (app) says "Pencils down" (like, filling in the oval). If were to do that during a real exam, would it be an issue? Or does pencils down mean drop your pencil immediately, without filling in the rest of the oval you were bubbling?

Sounds like a small question but I just had to ask.

For sure practice with putting your pencil immediately down, just in case you get a very strict proctor. But also it would be a good practice for you to get yourself trained to be fast with the time limitations for the LSAT.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

My center was super chill, but I wouldn't risk anything. Pencils down means pencils down! :P

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

@"montaha.rizeq" said:
    My center was super chill, but I wouldn't risk anything. Pencils down means pencils down! :P

This. I wouldn't risk it.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

My first proctor was so serious, word was she flagged someone. http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test/violations-irregularities

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    107 karma
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@Thoughtful said:
    Are pencils supposed to be down when the word "pencils" is heard or when the sentence ends?

Sentence ends.

• ranger286ranger286 Free Trial Member
    15 karma

I took the Feb 2017 test and my proctor kicked someone out who was filling in a bubble right after time was called. I don't know how much of the bubble he already had filled in before she said pencils down, but he was not finished with it when she did. He was sitting right in front of me and it kind of sent a message (to me anyway) that they were serious.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

Yeah, these things are serious. My recommendation would be to practice PTs with the bubble sheet and have things completely finished by the 34 minute mark.