Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOS need advice on whether to move my test date

bcallahan95bcallahan95 Alum Member
in General 64 karma

Hi all!

So after taking the LSAT for the first time September 2016 and getting a 145 after 2 rounds of Kaplan programs I decided to take a year off to work and study and try again September 2017.

I got a paralegal position at a law firm in NYC which has kept me busy with work and a long commute. I thought I'd be able to study more often (on the train, after work, etc) but it is proving to be a struggle. I am about halfway through the core curriculum as of now (studying since March) with a diagnostic score of 147. Regarding background info, in undergrad I was on the Dean's list every semester and in multiple honors societies as well as having this new job that will provide me with almost a year and a half of experience come Fall 2018.

**More time would be nice obviously, but I worry about whether or not it will lower my chances as far as admissions to push the test back to December. My goal is 160, but seeing as I can't seem to break 150 I realize that might not be possible and wonder if the time will make enough of a difference in the strength of my application.

Any and all advice is welcome!

SOS
  1. What to do?13 votes
    1. Keep it September
      15.38%
    2. Move it to December
      84.62%

Comments

• liza.bennettliza.bennett Alum Member
    108 karma

I made the mistake of testing before I was getting my goal test score. It just leads to frustration, disappointment and one blown test chance. I am not an expert but don't test until you are getting the scores you want consistently.

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

It's worth the wait! Take full advantage of 7Sage's program, and it is more reasonable and realistic to get in the 160's with additional time. I took February '17 exam and scored 147, with an average BR score of 152-155. I am also aiming for 160+. I am about 3/4 ways done with CC, and I know that you will need to set time aside to do BR and full length practice tests, and September is too soon. I am personally having keep on pushing back my test date...I am not sure that I'll be ready for December (though that's my goal), so I may have to write in February. BR/PT is a very important second phase of LSAT prep for such a score increase.

• aguirreliz92aguirreliz92 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 217 karma

I agree that waiting is worth it! I too had to struggle with pushing my test day back 3 times now. It was hard at first feeling like a constant failure but I've come to terms that I am going to continue to push back my date until I am certain my top choice school will consider me, even more so accept me! Especially for you, all the incredible things you accomplished in your undergrad, will give you that extra boost you want in terms of the application pool. Don't waste that great resume you have on a test score you settle for!!!

Good luck to you! Don't feel like your in this alone, we are all fighting the same war, just different battles.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Move it to whenever you are scoring what you would like to consistently on your test. There is absolutely no way to even estimate where you'll be score wise in a month or 6 months. I learned that the hard way as many other have. Sometimes we run into issues that take months to resolve. Just focus on working towards getting the highest score you can. This test counts for more than anything vis-a-vis law school admissions. So take ALL the time you need to do well.