Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Letters of rec? And other questions...

I'm applying after already finishing my MA a few years ago, and am trying to figure out the best approach for letters of rec. I was hoping some of you might have ideas about the questions below!

1) When academic letters of recommendation are preferred, is there any preference for undergraduate vs. graduate recommenders? Obviously my grad school professors have more recent memories of me, but I finished my grad course work 4 years ago, so it isn't all that recent either.

2) Since my undergrad professors previously recommended me for grad school, would it be absolutely crazy to ask them to submit and/or adapt the existing letters for law school?

3) Will it reflect badly if I don't submit an employer recommendation, after having been in the workforce for a few years? I'm certain they'd write me a good letter, but I'm not feeling comfortable disclosing quite yet that I'm applying to law school, since I wouldn't be matriculating for over a year at this point.

Thanks, all!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@theatrehippie said:
    I'm applying after already finishing my MA a few years ago, and am trying to figure out the best approach for letters of rec. I was hoping some of you might have ideas about the questions below!

1) When academic letters of recommendation are preferred, is there any preference for undergraduate vs. graduate recommenders? Obviously my grad school professors have more recent memories of me, but I finished my grad course work 4 years ago, so it isn't all that recent either.

2) Since my undergrad professors previously recommended me for grad school, would it be absolutely crazy to ask them to submit and/or adapt the existing letters for law school?

3) Will it reflect badly if I don't submit an employer recommendation, after having been in the workforce for a few years? I'm certain they'd write me a good letter, but I'm not feeling comfortable disclosing quite yet that I'm applying to law school, since I wouldn't be matriculating for over a year at this point.

Thanks, all!

Hey,

This is an interesting situation, but not all that uncommon. I think it is going to come down to who can give you the strongest letters between the professors vs. employer. The only thing I'll say is that I think you should try to obtain at least one letter from a professor. When that comes down to graduate vs. undergrad, I'm not exactly sure which would be preferred by law schools since you've been done with school for several years.