Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you write out this hybrid game?

Imagine a Sequencing/Matching hybrid game in which you need to sequence five entities - A, B, C, D, and E --- then match each of those to one of three attributes --- x, y, z.

A cannot be matched with x.
Exactly two people are matched with x, and they are consecutive.
C is matched with z.
There are exactly two spaces between C and A.

I wrote out two sketches one as a chart to show which matched and the other as a sequencing game to show the list of entities from 1 to 5. Is there a better way I can sketch this?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited December 2017 8699 karma

I believe the hidden inference here is that whatever is between the A and C must be the consecutive XX attribute pieces. This is how I would set this up:

photo IMG_0353_zpsejcptv7z.jpg

A double layer sequencing game. The top row being the A-E pieces and the bottom row being the attributes X etc. The yellow tick marks are our rules: the green stars are what I see as the game's guiding inference. Given the sequencing element, I'm curious, how did you make these rules fit into a chart?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

My approach would be double layer sequencing. Write out sequencing 1-5 with 2 spaces above each.

For the rules, I’d write a vertical box with A and x, and cross it out. A horizontal box with xx. (This also gives you an inference that the lower case game pieces are x, x, y, z, and then 1 more either y or z.) And finally a large box with A, 2 spaces and then C/z with a switch over the top between the A and C/z to show that those can swap position. That last large box showing the A and C positions combined with the horizontal xx and the rule that A can’t be with x really rules out a lot of possibilities. Should be pretty straight forward to write out a few game boards.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need any more clarity.

• I like your way better. I felt my way was too much work which is why I just stopped and asked for help.

What I did was a chart with the xyz on the side and the attributes above. where I check marked whether it was applied or not. But I then still had to sequence out the attributes. It seemed the way to go at first until I realized I may be making it more difficult for myself to understand. > @BinghamtonDave said:

I believe the hidden inference here is that whatever is between the A and C must be the consecutive XX attribute pieces. This is how I would set this up:

photo IMG_0353_zpsejcptv7z.jpg

A double layer sequencing game. The top row being the A-E pieces and the bottom row being the attributes X etc. The yellow tick marks are our rules: the green stars are what I see as the game's guiding inference. Given the sequencing element, I'm curious, how did you make these rules fit into a chart?

• I am definitely going to try out both to see which one works best with me. This is actually similar to what I was doing but felt it was just a lot of work and wasn't sure if there was an easier way to sketch. > @"Leah M B" said:

My approach would be double layer sequencing. Write out sequencing 1-5 with 2 spaces above each.

For the rules, I’d write a vertical box with A and x, and cross it out. A horizontal box with xx. (This also gives you an inference that the lower case game pieces are x, x, y, z, and then 1 more either y or z.) And finally a large box with A, 2 spaces and then C/z with a switch over the top between the A and C/z to show that those can swap position. That last large box showing the A and C positions combined with the horizontal xx and the rule that A can’t be with x really rules out a lot of possibilities. Should be pretty straight forward to write out a few game boards.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need any more clarity.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

OK, so I just physically wrote it down and once I did that, it was obvious that the key inference is that the xx has to go between the C and A. Here are my notes - there are basically only 2 game boards:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/imdCKOjZLkkHH4lp1

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

What test and game #?