Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

**When to start timing?

Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
edited July 2019 in General 205 karma

I'm about 25% through the core curriculum. I don't recall from the CC if I should be timing myself at this point. However, many people are commenting on the problem sets what their time was.
Should I be timing myself on the problem sets? If not, then when?

Comments

• Lana KaneLana Kane Alum Member
    176 karma

I'm about 30% through and I haven't started timing myself yet. I'm focusing more on really understanding the concepts, taking as much time to answer questions as I need to be 100% confident. I have seen the advice given of using a "counting up" timer vs setting a time limit. So sometimes on the 5 questions quizzes I'll start a stopwatch just to see how long it takes me. I'm definitely eating up more time than I can afford on test day but I'm getting the questions right which for me right now is all I'm focusing on.

I don't think I'll start actually timing myself until I get into PT every week.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2019 1866 karma

Just wanted to echo what @"Lana Kane" said! You don't need to time yourself, and if you want to benchmark, then I'd go with a count-up timer. If you find yourself distracted by time, feeling rushed in any capacity on drills, or worse, comparing yourself to others in the comments, just ditch the clock.
    I say this a lot, but speed comes second to accuracy, especially now as you learn the fundamentals. You'll experience plenty of time-pressure later on in your prep (once you start PTing), and until then, focus on knowledge and practicing/applying what you're learning in the CC.

• Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
    205 karma

Thank you both.