Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I take November or January?

Hannah14Hannah14 Free Trial Member
edited October 2019 in November 2019 LSAT 35 karma

Hey all, new to 7sage and I just took a timed diagnostic exam and scored 144, my goal is 160. I'm applying this round for 2020 admissions and January for most of the schools I'm applying to take January as the last acceptable exam. Do you think I have a shot?
I have a pretty good understanding of the LR material but still struggle with the questions and I do struggle quite a bit with RC. My strongest section is LG (I scored 18/23 on the diagnostic exam).

Which test to take?
  1. Should I take November or January28 votes
    1. November
      25.00%
    2. January
      75.00%

Comments

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited October 2019 737 karma

Hi Hannah, is there a neither option? I would advise against rushing this process. You just took a diagnostic. Just because you diagnosed in the 140s doesn't mean you can't do well. Many have started there - myself included - and then ended up in the 160s or 170s after putting in the time and hard work required. Even taking it in January only gives you a few months to prepare. Maybe you should consider waiting a year to apply. It is getting kind of late for someone to just be starting their prep for this cycle.

• aadivineaadivine Member
    48 karma

I have the same question, but my only question is for Canadian law schools would they even consider January lsat? Most people say chances lessen due to the rolling admission. Anyone know if they would even consider looking an at applicant with a January lsat score?

• Hannah14Hannah14 Free Trial Member
    35 karma

@aadivine I'm applying in Canada as well! I have been checking admissions websites for the schools I'm applying for and they state January is the last acceptable exam

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

7Sage general advice goes towards not signing up for a test until you are PTing at and around the score you want. For example, if you sign up right now for November, you will be hoping to see steady gradual progress every two weeks or so until the test. Sadly, that is not how improvement on the LSAT works. It surely could happen that way, but it is equally, if not more, likely that you will be putting subconscious pressure on yourself to improve on schedule that will actually hinder your progress.

If you are working in on a fixed time schedule that requires you to be in law school next fall, then you got to obviously take one or both of those two options. What would be optimal is for you to study as long as you need until you are regularly PTing in the 159+ range with higher BR scores. That would let you know that you are ready to attempt getting your target score on the real deal whenever that would be.