Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Employment Addendum for COVID-19

cameron.mccrary98cameron.mccrary98 Free Trial Member

Hi!

I am working on applying for the 2021 cycle and have, unfortunately, been out of work since March and unable to find work. Would it be advantageous for me to write an addendum for my resume gap or would it be something Ad Comms already assume due to the timeline?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I would add it in - it's always better to explicitly state things than to leave them open. It could just be a few sentences in an addendum explaining what you were doing in that time

• sleepypotatosleepypotato Core Member
    18 karma

I'm in a similar situation. I graduated from an advanced degree program in May and haven't been able to find work since then, despite my best efforts. I am really hoping to have a job by October, but honestly don't know what's realistic to hope for at this point. I feel pretty confident that I wouldn't have had such a long period of unemployment had it not been for COVID-19, but I also feel like the committees next year will be very aware that 2020 was an absolutely insane time, so I don't know if it's worth writing an addendum. I have a virtual admissions appt this week and I'm going to ask about it and can report back. It's definitely an unprecedented set of circumstances and I feel like, in general, that will mean ad comms won't hold the same standards for what constitutes a true gap in a resume.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Explain the employment gap in an employment addendum. Keep it concise and factual.

• sleepypotatosleepypotato Core Member
    18 karma

Update: I was told an addendum is not necessary in my case, but obviously your situation is different and it's up to you. Th best advice from her was that no matter you do, say things in a neutral and non-defensive way.