Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Averaging LSAT Scores

arianna.demasarianna.demas Alum Member
in General 16 karma
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could provide some information on how schools take multiple LSAT scores into consideration. Say I take 2 tests: what I've heard in the past is that most schools will take the higher of the 2, but that the top 14 schools will average the 2, unless there is a +/- 6 point difference between the 2 (in which case they will take the higher). Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 194 karma
    Thats the same information I've seen. With regards to the +/- 6 rule, there's no confirmation on the exact number but that would seem like a reasonable spread.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    most schools take the highest score... it makes sense for them because now they only have to report the highest score unlike before. Theoretically, to them, there i no great difference between someone who has a 170 and then someone who has scored a 165 followed by a 170. Even the T14s... of late, applicant pools to law schools have dwindled and it makes no sense for them to turn down perfectly good money or the chance to maintain a stellar rep... maybe what you say might be the case at the very top.. i.e. top 3... but not otherwise.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Usually they take the highest score. But if you're curious about a certain T14 school I would look them up to make sure how they go about it.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Or even give them a call... they are surprisingly open about these things.
  • arianna.demasarianna.demas Alum Member
    16 karma
    Thank you guys!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    They may be surprisingly open when asked, but many like to play things a little closer to the vest on their websites so you should take what is written there with a grain of salt. No school wants to essentially advertise that you should retake the LSAT 5 times, but in the end if you got above their median then they want that sweet, sweet score and eventually they will need you for it. This goes for HYS as well, because no adcomms or deans want to be the ones that let their medians fall, so as long as your GPA isn't total garbage then a high LSAT will get you through the door. Obviously don't go into it with a retake mindset, but if it helps lessen your stress, just know that one score is not the be all end all.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 2116 karma
    lol there was a thread about this not too long regarding retakes and admissions. The general consensus was that most schools will take your highest scores except the super top schools.

As for HYS, it could depends on what your first/second score was in relation to your second/third score. Given Harvard's large class sizes, my guess is that they're the most lenient towards retake out of the HYS. I believe Y/S class sizes are only in the low 200's compared to Harvard's 500+ so those two schools can afford to be picky with their admissions process.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Absolutely true, I just think the past few years where there has been a steep decline in apps especially from 170+ students that the conventional wisdom that some schools were invulnerable to this has changed as we have seen medians dipping across the board during the last 5 years.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    http://www.reddit.com/r/lawschoolstats/comments/2l2r76/median_lsat_decline_since_2010_as_of_201415_cycle/

took me awhile to find this but the decline in median LSAT scores is pretty evident across the board, aside from HYS. Stanford actually raised theirs by 2 points from 2010 to 2014. I'm excited to this incoming class medians though.