Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is the difference between assumption questions and strengthen questions?

mardinali1996mardinali1996 Core Member

When reading through the logical reasoning bible i have and going through the drills i find myself subconsciously following the same technique for both question types which leads me to ask what is the difference?

Comments

• jbantonyjbantony Core Member
    29 karma

The way I approach an assumption question is by "looking for the puzzle piece that completes the puzzle" For example if we have a premise and a conclusion then we have to assume that said premise leads to said conclusion, after that you just find the AC that makes that connection. For a NA question the negated NA always leads me to ask the question "if this is true how can you possibly come to conclusion stated in the stimulus". For example "my cat is the greatest cat in the world because he cuter than your pet". A NA is that your pet is a cat. If you negate this which would mean your pet is not a cat, if this is true how can I possibly claim that my cat is the greatest cat in the world?

Meanwhile for a strengthening question every premise is assumed to support the conclusion already, this is the implicit assumption. So my job now is to provide some sort of support for why this in fact does lead to the conclusion stated. So going back to the cat example, a sufficient strengthening AC could be "cuteness is a proxy for an animals greatness within their species" . This is at least how I approach them, hopefully my examples help, I came up with them on the fly so I am sorry if they don't make too much sense.