Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help on where I currently stand and if the LSAT trainer is worth..

2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
in General 248 karma
So, my cold diagnostic was 149, a little over a month ago. I finished the curriculum about three days ago and my first PT was a 156. I went -6 on my two argument sections (missing 2 easy questions on both), -9 on games, and -14 of 27 on RC! I think 149-156 is a decent increase and I think I just bombed the reading comp because I usually never score that badly on it. (FML) Anyway, I'm aiming for Decemebr 5th LSAT, I would be happy to score around 167. Should I pick up the Trainer and complete it in 10 days? (About 50-60 pages per day) Or just say fuck it, and straight PT'ing till December. Or, would you guys reccomend I only do CERTAIN parts of the trainer?! Thanks all.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Get the Trainer and take a few weeks with it while taking a PT or two per week... Understand that your 156 is likely not a true indication of your skills because you have not been working on your PT taking skills yet.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @2RARE2CARE said:
    Should I pick up the Trainer and complete it in 10 days? (About 50-60 pages per day)
    I do not think it is feasible to learn/absorb much of anything, let alone LSAT instructional material, at that pace. Consider instead modifying the 4-week LSAT Trainer schedule (perhaps remove drill sets since they are from such late PT's, or take the PT's that are used for drilling up front). http://www.thelsattrainer.com/assets/fourweektrainerstudyscheduleexams62-71.pdf
  • 2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
    248 karma
    Thanks guys, so since 156 is probably not a true indication of my ability, do you think my score of a 167 is feasible at my current pace? @Pacifico Been practicing about 30-40 hours per week, 1 day off. Further, @nicole.hopkins ... is it worth it to do basic ish in the Trainer like contrapositive lessons or should I skip all that? Thanks!
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    167 will be hard by dec... Give it about 6-7 PTs before you really know where you stand. I will predict your avg will be around 158-161.... The next jump will be the hardest thing you ever do... Patience is the key
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I don't think 167 will be too hard to do by December if you have 30-40 hours per week to study. As Nicole said, there's no need to rush through the Trainer. I finished the first 500 pages in about two weeks, but I didn't do every single part of every exercise, so YMMV depending on how much of that stuff you do. I don't think it's necessary to do it all the first time through, just do enough to get familiar with the concept and then you can save the rest for later. You're probably right around 160 right now, although you didn't mention if you BR'ed or what your BR score was if you did, and that is a very important part of this.

Within a month or so of finishing the Trainer and taking 5-10 PTs I would think your BR score should at least be around your target score if you are putting in at least 100 hours per month. The jump into the 160s isn't that bad, it's the upper 160s to the 170s that is probably the toughest plateau to get through since I believe that 175+ is a totally different dynamic than the progressions of each score band previous to that. The fact that you went -9 on games means your BR should be at least 9 raw points higher and 6-7 score points higher than your timed score, which means your BR should already be in the mid 160s as long as you're doing clean copy BR.

Also, if you LG is still that much of a problem for you then check this out and see what works for you: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

Good luck!
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    A 167 in December is completely feasible and you should expect it of yourself with the commitment you're making studying. Get it in your mind now! You're going to get a 167 by December.

Good luck! Continue to ask questions whenever you need help along the way.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    @2RARE2CARE I followed a similar route in that I completed 7sage's curriculum and went straight into PT's. 10+ PT's later I plateaued in the 160-164 range. Still working to get out of this plateau as we speak, but about two weeks ago I purchased the Trainer and can say in complete confidence that I wish I had bought it from the get go to incorporate it in with the 7sage curriculum. The Flaw section of the trainer is pure gold. Well worth the money in my opinion. Good luck with your prep!