Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

T-14 Splitters, Extenuating Circumstances

Hi All,

Saw a few posts on T-14 chances for splitters. What difference (if any) does URM status make? Same question for an addendum (father was hit and killed by a drunk driver mid way through undergrad.) I've been working in a professional capacity (enterprise tech marketing) for four years and am weighing if it's worth it to finally pursue law school.

Thanks in advance,
Enrique

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    URM is pretty much the biggest boost you can get outside of awesome uGPA/LSAT. So it is definitely a game changer. There are different degrees of being a splitter, but in general there are schools in the T14 that will take high LSATs to compensate for sub 3.5 or even sub 3.0 uGPAs. Your addendum will definitely carry a lot of weight as well, just not nearly as much as URM status. Having work experience will also be a decent soft for you as well. So know that it is achievable if you make the commitment and dedicate yourself to getting the right LSAT score. No time like the present to get moving!
  • Thanks so much for this thoughtful response - I'm targeting a June LSAT in an effort to give myself ample time to blow out the LSAT. Have been at it about a month and already am seeing marked improvements from this course. Also, makes me feel a whole lot better that the Dude abides.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2015 7965 karma
    @enrique.patino.daly said:
    Have been at it about a month and already am seeing marked improvements from this course.
    Play the long game. You MUST have a top LSAT score as a splitter for the T14—even as a URM. You still need to give them a number above their median or you're just asking for a ding. For a lot of us, it took well over a year. Only take the test if/when you've seen your goal score a minimum of 5 times. That might be June for you. Maybe. For me, my first take only made sense 16 months after I got started—until I had seen my goal score enough times.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    For a lot of us, it took well over a year. Only take the test if/when you've seen your goal score a minimum of 5 times.
    Word... I prepped with 7sage for over a year and a half and only gave my test when I hit my desired score on 8 odd PTs.