Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Visiting schools tips & recomendations

Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
in General 1196 karma
Hi everyone,

Since many of us are in the process of receiving acceptances or being put on the waitlists of the schools we've applied to, I thought it would be helpful if we had a topic that covered tips and recommendations for law school visits.

Has anyone visited schools yet that would be willing to share their experience?

How would you suggest that I'm applicant dress for the visit?

Are there any particular questions you would suggest that the applicant ask the admissions office?

Did you attend any classes and how was that?

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Check the schools website to see if they have recommended attire. Business casual is a very safe bet.

Determine if the admissions is an open or appointment driven one.

Prepare questions not found easily in the website. Do you homework, ask questions that pertain specifically to you and your situation.

Take a class or two. I think an entry 1L class is essential and then in a subject you have a specialized interest. I tired to make these the classes the same for every school I visit. I found that taking classes really gave me great insight to the students. At 1 top 6 school they students were almost entirely checked out (in Facebook or shopping at Amazon) while at another school they were all engaged.

Some schools have mini law or tour days. Some provide more individualized experiences. You just have to ask for it. Also ask for a Law School library pass. You'll be spending a lot of time in there so check it out.

I did most of my visits in the Fall, but now that I've decided to go for 2017, I'm visiting other campuses now.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Business casual is always the safest bet. Troll Spivey's TLS thread for some great questions to ask adcoms (there is a lot to sift through but it is a veritable treasure trove of information): http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451&hilit=spivey&start=1975

Aside from that just make sure you schedule an appointment and actually meet with someone from the admissions department, do not leave it to chance even if they are open about it, especially this late in the game. If you are at or below both medians you might get the run around from the receptionists who can just pull your profile and say no thanks we are super busy. If that happens just look up the Dean/Director/other adcoms and email them directly requesting to introduce yourself. Showing up for a guided tour and going to however many classes you want does not really count as a visit because you don't make contact with admissions, so then there's really nothing to follow up on. When you do get to talk to someone, make sure you emphasize how much you want to attend the school even if you never end up asking any of your fancy questions you come up with.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Thanks so much @Pacifico
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @Pacifico and @stepharizona pretty much covered everything. Business casual is ideal. You may also want to put a face to your application. So, if it isn't going to be a burden on the school, be sure to introduce yourself to a few people.

Do research on the school. That way you can engage in small talk should the situation arise.
    Many schools will allow you to schedule a tour. These tours are usually conducted in groups. However, most people just ask a few questions and leave after the tour. Don't be most people...stick around after and chat with the tour guide, admissions officer (if possible), etc. That is of course assuming that you want to go on a tour.
  • mgmwarrenmgmwarren Member
    22 karma
    @MrSamIam I agree with hanging around after the tour. I was a tour guide (in undergrad, but after talking to people at other schools this seems common and I imagine is probably also true in post-grad) and we would always meet with an admissions counselor after each tour to go over how the tour went and our impression of the student. Things we always included in this assessment:
    1) Did the student seem interested in the school and engaged during the tour? Or were they on their phone the entire time and getting them to speak was like pulling teeth?
    2) What other schools were they applying to? We'd ask, and we'd never hold their answer against someone. If it was one of our competitor schools we would take note and probably try to squeeze in why our school was better than the competitor, relative to the students interests (better pre-med, labs, student/professor ratio).
    3) If they had any particular interest like a subject or club we would tell the counselor and then the counselor would provide that student with more info on that department by way of a pamphlet or article. That's why you should come in prepared with interests, if possible. Informing the school of your interests gives the counselors something to go off of - a subject to talk about/focus on - and makes conversation inside and outside of an interview more natural and less forced.

again, this was for undergrad, but I imagine tours in law schools fill the same function. The school is feeling you out as an applicant as much as you are assessing them as a potential choice.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    I give tours at my law school for the admissions office. I wouldn't worry too much about dress, etc. I would emphasize that you take advantage of the visit to really see if the school is right for you.

Ask genuine questions in relation to things that will help you decide if the school is a match for you. If blank, ask open-ended questions like what a typical day of law school is like as a 1L, etc. Don't be afraid to ask whatever interests you. I think the interest expressed is valued more than the specific question asked.