Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mapping Logical Reasoning: Do we have a set of questions available?

legal_namelegal_name Alum Member
in General 277 karma
Hi Everyone!

I've been doing a lot of work recently with memorizing valid inferences that can be made from conditional and inter-sectional statements. I find that when I have a few extra minutes during blind review, I have no issue drawing the correct inferences. Unfortunately, during my practice tests I am unable to do the same. Guessing this means I need more timed practice. I was wondering if anyone had gathered a practice set of questions similar to PT 43, Section 3, Question 9, beginning "Most lecturers"? I've noticed mapping isn't strictly limited to most strongly supported questions/inference questions. Perhaps there is a filter I didn't know about in the question bank that would help me isolate more questions like these (specifically ones that incorporate diagramming).

Would greatly appreciate any/all advice or help.

Comments

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I don't think there's a designated filter for such questions. However, focus on the sufficient assumption, MBT, parallel reasoning, and parallel flaw questions. Those will make up the bulk of diagramming questions.
  • legal_namelegal_name Alum Member
    277 karma
    @MrSamIam thank you so much for your response. Will be sure to do that. Perhaps it's something that could be worked into the curriculum at some point in the future?
  • GanbatteGanbatte Alum Member
    edited June 2016 40 karma
    Yea some MSS are actually MBT. but even if they are not, you should think of them that way.
    For 9, it should be

Effective teachers m-> eccentric; effective teachers s-> noneccentric
    effective teacher -> good communicator.

You can see the form
    A m-> B
    A -> C

if something gives you B s-> C or C s-> B, you should be good.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @legal_name You can always get in touch with one of the admins here. 7Sage is really good about taking requests :). This site's all about the people!
  • legal_namelegal_name Alum Member
    277 karma
    @MrSamIam I will try that. I can't be the only one struggling with this, right? Thank you again.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    That would take an insane amount of legwork and there is a pretty small staff that works for 7Sage so I can say with a great deal of confidence that this is not likely to happen. Furthermore, while diagramming is a helpful tool for learning logic, it is no substitute for developing a deeper understanding, especially when it comes to game day. There has also been a continuing decline in the number of questions that involve straightforward conditional logic as Dave Killoran has written about many times.

I would recommend rather than asking for such a list that you make one on your own and use that as part of your prep. The time spent doing that will likely be of significant help in your prep. If you watch JY's videos you'll see that he diagrams all the time even if it just drawing pictures and involves no conditional logic. He does that to help teach but it's not how you want to be approaching actual PTs. You should be able to get to a point where you diagram only one or two questions per section in order to complete everything as quickly and accurately as possible and give yourself time to review. Good luck!