Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About that Lsat anxiety...

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
in General 905 karma

Hey 7sagers hope everyone is well , the lsat seems to trigger a lot students , myself included . I know jy says in the cc to get in the habit of meditating . The calm app is a great free resource that you can get from the App Store. It has guided meditations/ nature music / masterclasses / sleep function . Try to get into the routine of daily meditations if that works for you (it has helped me tremendously) Hope this helps !! Feel free to add suggestions on staying calm and collected while prepping and during the lsat

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I meditated every day before the LSAT. I also talked to a lot of people about the stress of studying, including a therapist. Doing so relieved a lot of the pressure I had. Also, recognize that this is nothing more than a test. Seriously. It is a test. You have seen it before, you have done many many practice tests, and you will do well. The test continually shits on you and makes you feel terrible. But have the confidence to not take shit from anyone, especially a lame three hour test. Believe in yourself and start to frame your thinking positively. You'll be surprised by what could happen.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Justdoit your advice is always on point , thanks for sharing your insight.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I have never really been into meditation but I am super stoked others find it useful! The one bit of advice for people I can give is that it helped for me to get into the questions. The LSAT as a test of five sections? Scary. Logic games as a whole? Scary. But assigning drum lessons that Bob will take? That is less scary. When it is a question of you versus the test, the whole experience is stressful. I think it helps to take it one question at a time, and then the test becomes more doable and you gain confidence.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

@JustDoIt Thanks a lot for this share, I appreciate all the comments you’ve posted.

905 karma

Thanks for the feedback everyone

905 karma

I agree (break it down and tell your self they are just questions) I’ve been also telling myself that I love solving the questions and that Lsat prep is getting me closer to my ultimate goal. The minute you start to complain consistently about the test- the lsat has already won. I know it sounds bizarre but it seems to be changing my perception of the test .

• Nico K331Nico K331 Alum Member
    57 karma

I meditate and did so leading up to the June LSAT. I slept like a baby the night before and was calm and collected for the 12:30 test. When I took my seat, the tension in the room was palpable. Still, I meditated and remained calm in the interim. All was not perfect though. When I opened to the first section (RC, a strong section for me), I read the passage and moved on to the questions and drew a complete blank. And then I began to panic. I had no idea what I was reading. It took me the entire first section to collect myself. I know it only takes two minutes to calm down when your mind starts to race, but I couldn't get there as easily as I thought I'd be able to and it took a lot out of me. I'm not sure what to do when that happens other than keep on testing. If I could go back in time I'd try to meditate longer or more perhaps, or wait until I was in an agitated state (maybe after commuting or something) to try and calm myself down to train away that amygdala response.

905 karma

@"Nico K331" said:
    I meditate and did so leading up to the June LSAT. I slept like a baby the night before and was calm and collected for the 12:30 test. When I took my seat, the tension in the room was palpable. Still, I meditated and remained calm in the interim. All was not perfect though. When I opened to the first section (RC, a strong section for me), I read the passage and moved on to the questions and drew a complete blank. And then I began to panic. I had no idea what I was reading. It took me the entire first section to collect myself. I know it only takes two minutes to calm down when your mind starts to race, but I couldn't get there as easily as I thought I'd be able to and it took a lot out of me. I'm not sure what to do when that happens other than keep on testing. If I could go back in time I'd try to meditate longer or more perhaps, or wait until I was in an agitated state (maybe after commuting or something) to try and calm myself down to train away that amygdala response.

Thanks for the input - it’s happened to me before , not on the lsat but other tests. I think it could be a build up of anticipatory anxiety. I’ve seen some people write that they skipped onto a different question or pushed through it whatever works for you