Some of you guys are so good at LR - I'm not

lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member

LR is hard for me because my reading comprehension skills are not that good.

I believe my average is about 14 correct per LR section. How do I get this to 18+? I've been through the trainer..finished most of the LR in the CC and I am still so bad at LR.

I want to move on to the LG section of the CC, however, I feel like that's a bad idea because I'd be abandoning LR too soon. I want to be decent at LR before I move onto LG.

Some of y'all are so good at LR.. when I see people say that they get "-2 or -1" on LR.. it amazes me. You rock.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

TL/DR: You should move on and return as needed. If for no other reason than LG is the easiest to improve and achieve consistency in.

Folks frequently finish the CC only to find initial score drops. That's because they've just been introduced to a whole bunch of new crap and implementing it remains difficult for a time. Like when a life-long golfer takes his first lesson at 45 and learns a whole new swing. His next several outings are prone to get ugly. So remaining with a section of the CC until you've reached your goal will probably slow your progress. There are lots of things to learn which are required for the types of improvement you seek like timing and stamina which are not even covered in the CC.

The CC is an introductory to fundamentals across the sections. It provides a holistic methodology and shared lexicon. These two things help you understand the test better. They will help you improve and will facilitate working with others who share the same lens (other 7Sagers). The collaborative community here is enabled by the CC and allows for synergistic learning.

The CC is NOT designed to deliver you your goal score on the first pass. Move on and return as needed. Best of luck!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

See what type of progress you make in LG over the next two months then return to LR if possible.

To answer your question more directly, it all comes with a lot of practice. The more intense BR time you spend on LR the better you will get.

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

Try slowing your reading down to a snail's pace. Many people think they need to hurry up and get through the words so that they have time, but this test is about nuance, not reading speed.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

Do you actively read and anticipate answer choices instead of just passively reading and letting the answer choices feed you? You can't always anticipate what answer choice the writers will place but it helps to get your mind thinking critically. Just like how in LG its best to spend time upfront with the gameboard, with LR sometimes it's best to spend time upfront with the stimulus. Similarly, do you skip questions after getting stumped or try to figure it out on your first run-through? LR has always been my weakest and it's been something I've had to chip at.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If you're still working on the cc, then I really strongly recommend you are not doing full sections yet. The cc is for learning the fundamentals: grammar, question types, how to approach the questions, etc. When you do full sections, you need to work on additional things like skipping questions and timing. But when you are still working on the basics, you should stick to the basics. Just as @NotMyName said, I highly recommend you move on. Don't spend so long in one part of the cc that you neglect other sections. Just keep going. The material will still be there later. You can come back to it as needed.

The LSAT is a beast and it's no small thing to learn to master it. So first, go easy on yourself right now. You're still learning. You're not supposed to have it all figured out. It takes practice and repetition. You know where you are right now, and you will work from there. But don't beat yourself up over where you're not. Just work your way through the cc then come back and focus on areas that you need improvement on.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

@NotMyName @"Leah M B" Thanks a lot, you two, I'm going to move on to LG today and return as needed. Very thankful for both your responses.

@"Logic Gainz" @keets993 I do sometimes read faster than I should. I'm not a good reader as it is, so I really should slow down. I do notice that I'm just passively reading to read, but not to actively read and understand which I hope to change up. Thanks a lot to you both.

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

@lsatgodjk I am pitching in because this test was not intuitive to me. So, i had/have to work my way through LR one bit at a time. First step is, after going through the CC, knowing what your strategy is for each question type or most types. Like what do you do when you see a strengthen question. Find the conclusion, the support and try to strengthen the support to the conclusion. Or for flaw you have to identify what reasoning error the author is committing. I know all this sounds obvious but when you do a timed section and you have to switch from question type to question type and you spend some time deciding on the strategy to use to attack the particular question, that's where it all adds up.
    A lot of this comes through question type drilling either through 7sage question banks or elsewhere. Do them in increasing difficulty levels so you can completely diagnose your process.
    I hope at least some of what I said helps you.
    However, I also agree with others who posted here. Do proceed to LG and learn as much as you can, after all it is the section where you can score most points and if you could spend some time there and come back to LR with a fresh perspective, that will be helpful.

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    edited October 2018 350 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme I like your username. I read it in the tone of a small child who's stuck trying to figure out the most obvious thing. :D Is it a reference to something?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited October 2018 2531 karma

@MindyKale haha, it's a reference to one of the video games I played as a kid. I feel like it definitely applies to the LSAT though :D