Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

please, need urgent advice on Logic Games

lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
in Logic Games 3190 karma

I find when Im doing games, when I actually just understand the rules I go -0 or -1 at the most. But hammering out games these past few days ive run into rules in which I now realize I think i need to make a mental note or itll just screw up the entire section. Is there a way to get around this? Right when they give us scratch paper am i allowed to write these notes down literally just to keep a mental check? For example,

PT 44 game 3 arch sites the rules were "this is from a more recent century than this" and i totally misunderstood and thought 8th century was more recent than 9th century lol so i misdiagrammed the entire game and couldnt figure it out till the questions

OR when a game says which is a complete and accurate list
vs
a complete and accurate list "any of which" can be x

or when a game says "how many spaces seperate" i need to remember to just count the spaces in between x and y and not including x and y

Should i just literally remember this going into the section or what? I think its worth it to spend like 10 seconds remembering these basic rules to not rush, just so i make sure I dont screw up the entire section...

Comments

• lsat8709lsat8709 Member
    78 karma

@lexxx745 I would watch a couple of the videos JY posts of himself taking actual logic game sections. My advice is to be very organized and write down each rule vertically from the first rule to the last rule. Sometimes you can incorporate a rule directly into the diagram. It is often worth spending more time upfront making additional inferences and incorporating those in your diagram. This often leads to increased speed answering the questions and saving you time overall in completing the game. One more bit of advice. Avoid paralysis. Know when rules trigger and when they become irrelevant. I hope some of this helps.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@lsat8709 said:
    @lexxx745 I would watch a couple of the videos JY posts of himself taking actual logic game sections. My advice is to be very organized and write down each rule vertically from the first rule to the last rule. Sometimes you can incorporate a rule directly into the diagram. It is often worth spending more time upfront making additional inferences and incorporating those in your diagram. This often leads to increased speed answering the questions and saving you time overall in completing the game. One more bit of advice. Avoid paralysis. Know when rules trigger and when they become irrelevant. I hope some of this helps.

Im sorry if Im unclear. Im very familiar with conditional logic and when rules trigger and stuff. Im asking about literally understanding a rule. Like the english of it. Im not referring to conditional logic.

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2020 796 karma

Ay, I remember when I was mainly just missing points on making mistakes like this! Totally feel the struggle. Honestly, I just had to force myself to read the stimulus more carefully. I'd read it a second time after I thought I'd comprehended everything just to make sure I wasn't comprehending anything wrong. Because those extra few seconds to double check pay off when you don't realize halfway through a game that you've been doing the whole thing wrong because of misreading one word.

There isn't any quick trick beyond that. Just keep yelling (politely) at yourself when you make these mistakes, and try to force yourself to be more meticulous. But hey, I scored a 179 and I was still making these kinds of errors once in a while by the end of my studying... virtually no one can avoid the occasional silly error. It's just a matter of increasing your odds, so you want to focus as much as you can so that you avoid these errors as much as possible!

But, ultimately, I wouldn't memorize specific rules, other than the rule of not rushing itself.

"...worth it to spend like 10 seconds remembering** these basic rules to not rush, just so i make sure I dont screw up the entire section..."

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

It has really helped me to use the acceptable situation question to check my rule representation. That is, after creating your board and writing down your rules, as you go into the acceptable situation question, take each rule at a time, check your representation, then eliminate relevant ACs on the question. I used to consistently mess up rules and shoot myself in the foot. Even if there's no acceptable situation question, you should still simulate the process. This way, you're reviewing rules, mitigating mistakes, and answering a question, all at the same time!

Credit to @"Cant Get Right" and @Sami for this strategy. I would recommend working with either of them if you have more trouble.