Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

last month study plan?

I’m taking the October test, and I’ve been really focused on getting a lot of PTs in since I’ve only done 9 so far. I’ve been taking 2 PTs per week, with an extra two days dedicated to reviewing my PTs. LG is by far my worst section, I’m averaging -8 (LR -5 RC -6) and it’s really bringing my score down. I foolproof games from previous tests on the days that I don’t PT/review, but I’m not sure if 3 days of foolproofing is enough a week. I’m scared that if I don’t spend enough time focusing on PTing, though, that I won’t get the practice I need before my test. Does anyone have recommendations on how I should distribute my time with a month left to study?

Comments

• also, any tips in general on foolproofing LG? I‘ve just been retaking entire sections from old PTs until I get a perfect score. what else should I be doing?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited September 2020 2054 karma

I have not done this yet, but I have been told the best thing to do for LG if you already understand how they work is just make a bunch of problem sets and drill them over and over. Maybe you use 10 sections from PT's or so. Drill them all, rinse and repeat with the same problems for a few weeks. I hear that greatly improves speed and accuracy. It doesn't matter that they are similar. You're teaching yourself to learn how they work. So long as you aren't memorizing the answers I think it is beneficial.

I would say also that you are unlikely to improve substantially just from doing PTs over and over if you have a specific weakness. Taking PTs will give you practice with the test as a whole but not a lot of concentrated practice on what your specific weakness is. Since RC will be hard to improve much anyway and it is nearly your best section I would spend a week or two addressing LG and, if that is effective, another week addressing LR. Maybe do that and still do 1 PT a week for those weeks to keep you familiar with the test, but drill where you stand to see the best improvement. My personal opinion is that, given your time constraints, that would be more efficient.

If it would help you drastically improve your score you can also wait till November even if applying for 2021.

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

All of this really depends on what your goal is, but I agree with @VerdantZephyr in that you should DEFINITELY take at least a week to foolproof games. I think that practicing PT's is important, but less so since October is flex, so taking a week off to do this will likely be a really good use of your time.

As for foolproofing, I would focus at first on doing one game at a time vs. full sections. This way, you're giving each game your full, undivided attention and getting more out of it. And if you're not already, I would watch JY's LG videos since they really get at the key inferences of each game. These inferences will allow you to do the games faster and better. If we had time to brute force every game, we would but since there is only 35 minutes you need to be aware of the inferences that help you more easily get through the games (and many inferences repeat from game to game). Also, when you do foolproof I would try and do PT's in order (for example, 1-10 or 45-55). Not sure if this is true but I've heard that this gives you enough exposure of different game types and rules since, for example, the LSAT is unlikely to repeat the same game four PT's in a row.

I also second the sentiment above that you CAN wait until November if necessary. :smile: Good luck!!

• SarahSpanishSarahSpanish Member
    edited September 2020 38 karma

I am in your boat! I spent one week really focusing on games. I only did one PT that week. The next week, I kept focusing on games but managed to squeeze in another. I went from -8ish on games to -2 on this last PT! And they were silly mistakes. I'm feeling really happy :)

Here's how I set up my week:
    Mon: Choose 4 whole sets from various dates (so 16 games total.... honestly this was too much so I think 3sets/12 games is fine). Work through these games WITHOUT a time limit.
    Tues: Watch game videos and follow along while doing the work along JY and anticipating what his next move is. I found printing out the actual games made this easier.
    Wed: Run games with normal speed
    Thurs: Run games with normal speed again. Check to make sure that your set up and inferences for all games are as thorough as humanly possible!!! I made a point to check inferences on this day.
    Fri: Maybe run games again with -3% speed if you're feeling like it, or do a PT, or old games.

Of course there's no need to follow this plan! I just wanted to share my own example in case you're wondering what you should do when you "focus on games".

I personally never liked running the same games in the same day, which is why I picked a LOT to do over and over throughout the week so that I wasn't just memorizing answer choices lol

Best of luck! We are gonna crush october flex :smiley:

• @SarahSpanish said:
    I am in your boat! I spent one week really focusing on games. I only did one PT that week. The next week, I kept focusing on games but managed to squeeze in another. I went from -8ish on games to -2 on this last PT! And they were silly mistakes. I'm feeling really happy :)

Here's how I set up my week:
    Mon: Choose 4 whole sets from various dates (so 16 games total.... honestly this was too much so I think 3sets/12 games is fine). Work through these games WITHOUT a time limit.
    Tues: Watch game videos and follow along while doing the work along JY and anticipating what his next move is. I found printing out the actual games made this easier.
    Wed: Run games with normal speed
    Thurs: Run games with normal speed again. Check to make sure that your set up and inferences for all games are as thorough as humanly possible!!! I made a point to check inferences on this day.
    Fri: Maybe run games again with -3% speed if you're feeling like it, or do a PT, or old games.

Of course there's no need to follow this plan! I just wanted to share my own example in case you're wondering what you should do when you "focus on games".

I personally never liked running the same games in the same day, which is why I picked a LOT to do over and over throughout the week so that I wasn't just memorizing answer choices lol

Best of luck! We are gonna crush october flex :smiley:

Thank you so much - this is very helpful!!!

• @Ellegoals said:
    All of this really depends on what your goal is, but I agree with @VerdantZephyr in that you should DEFINITELY take at least a week to foolproof games. I think that practicing PT's is important, but less so since October is flex, so taking a week off to do this will likely be a really good use of your time.

As for foolproofing, I would focus at first on doing one game at a time vs. full sections. This way, you're giving each game your full, undivided attention and getting more out of it. And if you're not already, I would watch JY's LG videos since they really get at the key inferences of each game. These inferences will allow you to do the games faster and better. If we had time to brute force every game, we would but since there is only 35 minutes you need to be aware of the inferences that help you more easily get through the games (and many inferences repeat from game to game). Also, when you do foolproof I would try and do PT's in order (for example, 1-10 or 45-55). Not sure if this is true but I've heard that this gives you enough exposure of different game types and rules since, for example, the LSAT is unlikely to repeat the same game four PT's in a row.

I also second the sentiment above that you CAN wait until November if necessary. :smile: Good luck!!

Thank you - I'm definitely going to spend a week just doing games. I appreciate the tips!

• @VerdantZephyr said:
    I have not done this yet, but I have been told the best thing to do for LG if you already understand how they work is just make a bunch of problem sets and drill them over and over. Maybe you use 10 sections from PT's or so. Drill them all, rinse and repeat with the same problems for a few weeks. I hear that greatly improves speed and accuracy. It doesn't matter that they are similar. You're teaching yourself to learn how they work. So long as you aren't memorizing the answers I think it is beneficial.

I would say also that you are unlikely to improve substantially just from doing PTs over and over if you have a specific weakness. Taking PTs will give you practice with the test as a whole but not a lot of concentrated practice on what your specific weakness is. Since RC will be hard to improve much anyway and it is nearly your best section I would spend a week or two addressing LG and, if that is effective, another week addressing LR. Maybe do that and still do 1 PT a week for those weeks to keep you familiar with the test, but drill where you stand to see the best improvement. My personal opinion is that, given your time constraints, that would be more efficient.

If it would help you drastically improve your score you can also wait till November even if applying for 2021.

Thanks so much for the advice!