Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Get Through Core Curriculum Fast!!!

Hi!

So I have heard a lot of people are able to work through the lessons/core curriculum pretty quickly and I would like to know how. I previously studied for the LSAT all last summer working myself up from a 147 to a 158, so I'm familiar with the basic, but wanted to refresh myself so I started from the beginning. I am new to 7Sage. I took the August 2020 LSAT and completely choked. After I recovered from that traumatizing experience I finally have the courage to pick up the study materials again. I plan on retaking the LSAT in August and November, but I'm not able to keep up with the suggest schedule, because of all the time it takes me to get through the practice sets. Is there a method you guys use or do you just skip the practice sets? #Help

Comments

• tashanehrutashanehru Member
    10 karma

i went thru the core curriculum in 3 weeks and got a 167 on the january test by basically just weighing my own confidence! i went over the basic material and once it came time for the video explanation questions/practice tests i would base the amount of time i spent on it on how much the concept made sense to me. if i looked at all the video questions and immediately got the correct answer without watching the video, it didn't feel necessary to do all the sets! similarly my RC has always been decently strong so i put that off as not getting through it all would not make or break my score the way not understanding the LGs would. i would recommend specifically revisiting the areas of the test you struggle with first (whether that's overall section or type of question) and strengthening them before spending time on areas you feel more confident or perform more consistently in,

• ishaw18ishaw18 Member
    112 karma

I would definitely not recommend just going through the core curriculum as fast as you can. Much of the material builds upon itself and is fundamental to having a proper understanding which will enable you to excel when you take the official LSAT. I personally did skip over some of the problem sets, however I only did so to give myself an opportunity to go back to them at a later date as refreshers. If this is something JY would or would not condone, I don't know, but that's what I did. The lessons though... those are fundamental. Resist the temptation to speed through them. Just watching the videos and moving on is not enough. It is crucial that you actually learn and understand what JY is teaching you, as the lessons are the keys to success on this test! Rest assured that you are in the right place to set yourself up for success! :smile:

• Thank you both for your responses. I don't have issues getting through the lessons, but rather the problem sets. I like that idea though of leaving some to come back to, because I don't feel like at this time I can gauge my progress and weak areas until I begin practice tests. Maybe when I get through the lessons with a good understanding of the concept I will practice about half, and then when I complete some of the tests I can go back to those lessons and practice.

• HopefullyHLSHopefullyHLS Member
    445 karma

Don't focus on speed at the beginning, but on accuracy instead! Speed increase should ideally be nothing but a by-product of competency.

• To provide a different view in regards to the PSs, I’d be wary of skipping the later ones just because you did well on the earlier ones. I’ve found that the PSs are generally structured in increasing difficulty, so skipping later ones can prevent you for engaging with more challenging material that might just help you improve that much more.

• AkLSAT2020AkLSAT2020 Alum Member
    edited June 2021 41 karma

Do the lessons. All of them.

Do all the quizzes. If you have time check the explanations for them. At least few of them. If you got something wrong or wasn't sure about definitely go over the video explanations though. The quizzes can only help imo.

After you finish each lesson and chapter, i highly recommend doing the first and last problem set for each section/chapter. First one is from the easiest questions. Last one is from the harder questions. Go over the explanations for these two sets. I do not personally recommend doing all of the problem sets. Keep them pristine and ready to be done after you start doing prep tests and figure out your weaknesses ( by using the analytic).

Now as for the single questions that exists in each chapter. I do recommend doing those and going over video explanations. From my personal/anecdotal observations those questions are not just selected randomly. They ( purposefully or not, though i assume purposefully) showcase different ways those questions can appear.

This is in my opinion an efficient way to go through the CC. Depending how much you study every day, I think you should be done with it in 2 to 5 weeks.

Take your time and learn them. Don't rush it imo.

Hope this helps.