Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quantifier Practice Confusion

Hey Everyone! I've only been studying for a few weeks and decided to apply what I learned from 7Sage about quantifiers to all/most/some practice problems in the LSAT Trainer. I'm stumped on one question and would very much appreciate it if someone would be able to map it out for me logically.

The passage is: "Most of the dishes at Oldie’s Diner are unhealthy, and most are offered on special during lunchtime. The dishes on special come with the customer’s choice of free fries or a free soda. All of the dishes offered on special are written up on the restaurant’s chalkboard."

The question is whether "Most of the dishes on the chalkboard are on special" can be true.

No matter how I go about the question using formal logic, I only ever arrive at some dishes written on the chalkboard are on special (Written-Chalkboard <--- s ---> On Special). Thanks in advance studious future attorneys!

Comments

• Gabriel_RGabriel_R Core Member
    27 karma

I'm confused as well, but I think if you combine the last most statement and the all statement you can arrive at a most conclusion. If most dishes are offered on the lunchtime special and all dishes offered on the lunch time special are written on the chalkboard we can make a transitive inference. This is because the all and most share a common term, and the common term is the sufficient condition for the all statement and the necessary for the most statement. I arrive at the conclusion most dishes are written on the chalkboard. How did you arrive at some dishes written on the chalkboard are on special?

• HHM Future AssociateHHM Future Associate Core Member
    8 karma

@Gabriel_R I also arrived at most dishes are written on the chalkboard. I then pushed that inference against the second statement in the passage, that most of the dishes are offered on special, and got to the inference that some dishes that are written on the chalkboard are on special. I just can't logically get to most of the dishes that are written on the chalkboard are on special, which the LSAT Trainer has marked as could be true.