Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Tests Centers in Manhattan??

Amir ShakoorianAmir Shakoorian Free Trial Member
edited May 2013 in General 57 karma
I'm signing up now for the October LSAT and I'm trying to see if any of the test center in New York (Manhattan) is better than others. Supposedly there are three test centers in New York: CUNY, Fordham Law School and Pace University (http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/testcentercodes.pdf). But on LSAC's registration page only Pace University is available to sign up for so I don't know if I will have any choice anyway.

Comments

• Jeff TJeff T Free Trial Member
    19 karma
    I'm scheduled to take the June test at CUNY, so I can let you know after the test. If anyone has info on the CUNY test site, please let me know.
  • Amir ShakoorianAmir Shakoorian Free Trial Member
    57 karma
    Hi Jeff.. That would be great. Thanks and GOOD LUCK!!
  • Jeff TJeff T Free Trial Member
    19 karma
    Here's my review of the CUNY - City College test center location. The school is located at 160 Convent Ave, near 135th Street. It's basically half way between the 1 train on Broadway, and the B/C train on St. Nicholas Ave. If you take the B/C train like I did, you will need to climb a pretty steep hill through St. Nicholas park. I actually didn't mind it when I discover this on my way to the test as I just imagined I was Rocky climbing the stairs of the library... and if nothing else, would help me get some oxygen into my blood, and my blood flowing. The only downside was that it was pouring that day, and a big tree branch was down, blocking the stairs (I had to crawl under it).

We were broken into groups and separated into different auditoriums (lecture hall style classrooms with stadium seating). While most of us were divided among the auditoriums next to each other, a group of students appeared to be brought to a different classroom in a different area. I counted 18 students in my room, and we were separated by at least 2 seats, skipping alternate rows (feel like this could be made into a logic game). The desk is fairly small as typical of folding-style lecture hall seats, and does not fit the entire LSAT test booklet so I often had to hold one side up with my hand in the RC and LG sections. The upside was it was very quiet, although it was pretty cold (prob didn't help I was half soaked from the rain earlier).

My proctor was very nice but strict, and made sure she followed the rules to the tee. She was assisted by 2 helpers who watched us like a hawk. I almost got in trouble because when she said "pencils down" at the end of the section, I didn't literally put the pencil down even though I was clearly looking at her and had my hands on my lap and finally tossed the pencil on my desk when she kept yelling "pencils down" at me. I saw the proctor handed one of the test takers a pink slip (I assume the test taker was cited for some sort of infraction, but I don't know what happened). She did a good job announcing the 5 minute mark though.
    57 karma
    Thank you much for taking the time and writing this. It is very important to me that the test center I choose be quiet so I think i may try to go for CUNY.

I hope you did very well on the test.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14100 karma
    I heard at Pace they had those horrible little flip up arm tables.
    57 karma
    The only center still open in Manhattan is Pace (the only other one listed but full is CUNY). I'm wondering if I should choose one of the ones in Long Island City or Brooklyn. I'm only worried that on the morning of LSAT on Saturday, one of the subway lines out of Manhattan won't be running and that be an added stress on the morning of the test and since it's so far away, I would have difficulty finding a cab. Based on your experience, do you think more test centers may open up in the upcoming months?? I was under the impression that Columbia is a test center but I can't find it on any of the LSAC's lists.
    14100 karma
    Usually as we approach the deadline for pushing back to December, a bunch of people will reschedule for December and spots will open up.

Alternatively, you can arrange to have a taxi ferry you to the CUNY.
    57 karma
    Yea, I was actually thinking about getting a cab on the morning of the test. My problem is (I got 99 problems and LSAT just happens to be one) that I sometimes get carsick and I wouldn't want that on the morning of the test.

I may just go sign up for one of them and just wait to see if anything opens up... Thanks!
  • YZYZ Free Trial Member
    37 karma
    Hi JY, can you suggest some good locations for Queens or Brooklyn? I am about to sign up for October?
    14100 karma
    CUNY Queens was a good location. Not sure about October.