Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Significant discrepancies in actual score and blind review

fambam24fambam24 Member
in General 215 karma

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how to study better. On my latest practice test, my actual score was 164 and blind review was 178. The problem is that I'm very inconsistent with my performance in each of the sections.

RC usually is the best for me, I miss 2-3...but on this practice test I missed 6. The subject matter in the last two passages were really boring so I was struggling to get through them.

LG - I've been drilling games crazy for the past two weeks but one of the games in this practice test really threw me off and messed up my pace in the entire section. In blind review, I was able to get all the questions right.

LR -In one section, I got -2 and in another section I got -6. I'm not missing a particular question type. It's more that I'm not reading the stimulus carefully and missing out on key inferences.

This week, I'm going to keep drilling LR and LG sections. I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly I need to work on. Should I try a consultation with one of the 7sage tutors? If so, which one would you recommend?

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Keep drilling LG until you go -0 on almost every test. Volume is the way to go there.

It's great that you are getting a high BR score. Try to set your sights on a 180 BR every time.

A gap of 14 points is pretty big. Inconsistency from section to section is going to happen (except with LG). That's just the nature of how they construct tests. Still, try filming yourself on LR sections and see how you're spending your time. Listen to the webinar on skipping strategy. Figure out how you are executing a section and seek ways to improve on that. The most common way to improve is to make sure you don't get sucked into spending too much time on any one question. Also literally write out your problem solving process. Think explicitly about identifying the conclusion, finding the premises that support it, and understanding the relationship between those parts. Build the ideal process and then practice it deliberately until you can do it flawlessly and quickly.

• fambam24fambam24 Member
    215 karma

@AllezAllez21 that's really helpful, I think I really need to examine my problem solving process for LR, I've improved a lot in LG by fixing all the mistakes I was making...need to defintely do the same with LR

• LRae2017LRae2017 Member
    32 karma

@fambam24 Did you end up using or find a tutor? I think I am in need of one! I am not even half way through the curriculum and feeling uneasy about it all. I am more of a person who learns when I can ask a bunch of questions and someone able to answer. Writing a comment under the lesson just takes too long :(

• fambam24fambam24 Member
    215 karma

@LRae2017

I didn't end up getting a tutor but if you have the resources to do so, I would go for it!! It took me a while to figure out what I was struggling with and I think a tutor could really help with that.

• Sammie215Sammie215 Member
    202 karma

If it's any consolation I was scoring mid to upper 160s for like my first five practice tests and then I just randomly jumped to 176 and the next 5 were all in the 170-176 range. Watching the LR videos and learning how the quickly eliminate wrong answers was huge for me. Hopefully it is helpful to you too. High BR scores are awesome! Just keep grinding and trust that the breakthrough will come!

• Sammie215Sammie215 Member
    202 karma

^^ lol should have also mentioned that my BR scores had a similar gap when I was scoring in the 160s which is what makes this #relevant