Cheat Sheet: Dos and Don’ts
- read each school’s directions carefully;
- tell a story about how you got to where you are;
- look for five seconds that changed your life;
- write about something you actually care about;
- add specific details to key moments;
- get feedback from at least one other person;
- let your essay sit for a couple days before you revise;
- ask yourself what point you’re trying to convey in each paragraph;
- make your essay more concise;
- read out loud as you proofread.
- exaggerate, or try to pull off any other BS;
- take the reader on a tour of your resume;
- write an op-ed;
- explain why want to be a lawyer, unless you mean it;
- guess what the adcom wants to hear;
- aggrandize yourself;
- say you care about social justice, unless your record backs it up;
- address the wrong school;
- let a single typo or grammatical error slip through.
Learn about our admissions consulting and editing services.
No note. Click here to write note.