Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It Worthy to Take a Semester off for the LSAT?

yujunda1996yujunda1996 Alum Member
in General 24 karma
Hi guys,
So I'm thinking about taking a semester off for the June LSAT. Do you guys think it is worthy or necessary?
Currently I'm a third year in college in a quite demanding program and I had a hard time juggling between the LSAT and school work last semester. I did spend as much time to prep as I could last semester and scored a low 160s in the December test. I really want to aim for 170+ for June and I think it's much more possible taking some time just to prepare for it...Anyone else did that for the LSAT?
Any suggestions for test prep or time management advice would also be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited January 2017 1741 karma
    How come you are in such a rush to take the LSAT? My advise would be to focus on your GPA and worry about the LSAT later.

It sounds like you are pretty deep in your studies though if you are scoring in the 160s? Is that the case?
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I wouldn't put off a semester to study. I would study after you graduate, so you can focus on one thing at a time. Assuming you will be graduating in May, you'll effectively have a semester's worth of time to study for the LSAT for the next cycle. If I'm thinking correctly, putting off a semester wouldn't help you apply for any earlier cycle and would at best position for the cycle you probably would've been ready for anyway had you waited to study for the LSAT post-graduation.
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    Don't take a semester off. Either manage your time well during the semester and study for the LSAT as well (it's very possible..) or take the LSAT once you graduate and have time to full-time study.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Agreed with @jknauf and @danielznelson .

Focus on your GPA for now. The additional major downside of taking a semester off rather than studying after graduation is that it forces you to commit to a timeline and take what you can get, ready or not. After school, you won't have an upcoming semester looming over you, and you'll be able to exercise discretion in when you take the test.
  • H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    318 karma
    Good question, and one a lot students think about. I have 8 classes left, and I plan to graduate and apply for law school by December 2017. I decided to take 3 classes this winter, a combined language course in the spring (2 classes), and 3 classes in the fall. I plan to write most likely in September, if not, December. I just started to study for the LSAT this past week.

By spreading my classes out, it allows me to make more time to study for the LSAT.

I feel like taking a semester off may be worse because what I heard from other students who used the spring/summer to study for the LSAT was that they got lazy and or were unmotivated. I think the best thing is to find a balance, even if that means you have to go part-time in study which I was really considering. It might take a lot of trail and error, like I am experiencing now, but I'm hopeful it will come together.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    I wouldn't take the semester off. Delay the LSAT a cycle if you need to though. I take classes via distance education, and thought that back loading my term would be a smart move (e.g. classes start Jan 30th for me instead of Jan 6th)...and haven't put in nearly the time that I had expected between burnout and a bit of laziness. Honestly, I haven't even matched the amount of time I put in when I was in 6 credit hours plus working 40-50hrs a week despite having a lot more free time. Being busy forces you to manage time effectively.
  • mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
    209 karma
    Don't! Almost all the T14 law schools ask if you've taken any interruptions in your education and saying that you took a semester off for the LSAT will undoubtedly make you look really bad.