PT June2007.S2.Q16 - taylor: researchers at a local university

edited January 2017 in Logical Reasoning 5 karma

The statements provide the most support for holding that Sandra would disagree with Taylor about which one of the following statements?

Answer: D) Some sciences can yield mathematically precise results that are not inherently suspect.

Okay, so I answered this incorrectly on the diagnostic, and watched the video explaining what the correct answer choice was. I'm still a bit confused. This type of question is a disagreement question, which means that the right answer choice has to be a statement that one of the two speakers agrees with and the other disagrees with. In this passage, Taylor and Sandra are arguing about whether or not all mathematically precise claims should be subject to skepticism. Taylor clearly holds that all mathematically precise claims are suspect, while Sandra believes that some scientific disciplines can obtain precise results which are not suspect.

D clearly aligns with Sandra's argument, but I am confused by the wording of this question. It says the statements above provide the most support for holding that Sandra would disagree with Taylor about one of the following statements. Doesn't that mean we are looking for a statement that Taylor believes in and Sandra disagrees with?
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-june-2007-section-2-question-16/

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

@alexandramundy said:
    Doesn't that mean we are looking for a statement that Taylor believes in and Sandra disagrees with?

Not necessarily, although I totally see where your reading is coming from. They could probably have worded this better. So, we can see that they would disagree over the correct answer. And since they are disagreeing with each other, of course Taylor disagrees with Sandra, which gets us back to our question stem.