Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any suggestions from any sages (or anybody) would be much appreciated!

TimLSAT180TimLSAT180 Alum Member
in General 619 karma

I already sent out an email to Daniel (one of the sages) about my planned schedule and wanted to receive feedback from other sages if they had the time to chime in.

So, I've already gone through the phase of learning the fundamentals, and right now I'm trying to tackle each section individually before entering the PT and BR phase.

So, in terms of LG, I'm in the process of foolproofing the LG Bundle from PT1-35 and right now I'm at PT 14 and I can already see my LG skills improving. I definitely do each game more than 5 times in total to make sure I have all the rules and inferences down.

For LR, I'm taking Daniel's advice and basically going to focus on Flaw, Strengthen, and Weaken questions (7sage analytics pointed out these three areas as my main weaknesses) and starting tomorrow do 10 questions of each of those areas untimed and really break down the argument, get to the root of the argument, and try to anticipate the answers, and write out an explanation for why I think the correct answer choice is correct and why the other four are incorrect. And then I would check the answers and if I got a question incorrect, I can review it, cut it out and keep looking at it from time to time. The next day I would do the same with a different set of flaw, weaken, strengthen 10 questions each from the Cambridge packet.

For RC, I'm trying to read a lot of difficult prose out loud each day for about an hour because it forces me to focus on difficult material, builds up my overall endurance, and increases my familiarity with different concepts. Also, I try to go through one or two RC passages a day and make sure I understand reasoning structure, any distinctions or evaluative statements/opinions.

I'm only planning on taking a preptest only after I've done the LG foolproofing method. Do you guys have any further suggestions? Much appreciated and thank you Josh, Daniel, David, and Nadar for the awesome webinar!

P.S. I really want to join in on the BR call but I won't be in the PT phase until next month. Should I wait?

Thank you guys!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

@doohocho said:
    I'm only planning on taking a preptest only after I've done the LG foolproofing method. Do you guys have any further suggestions? Much appreciated and thank you Josh, Daniel, David, and Nadar for the awesome webinar!

P.S. I really want to join in on the BR call but I won't be in the PT phase until next month. Should I wait?

Thank you guys!

Hey, happy to help! Sounds like Daniel has set you up with a pretty good plan. All I'd add is maybe some untimed full section drills, but even that not until you're confident you have fairly comfortable footing with the fundamental logical (and grammatical!) concepts. As you move forward, constantly seek to identify new target areas. The things you need to focus on will shift throughout your studies, and your awareness of those shifts will maximize your effectiveness.

And yes, you should wait before joining Blind Reviews, but be on the lookout for seminars, workshops, and intensives! Study Groups are going to be much more than just blind reviews moving forward!

• TimLSAT180TimLSAT180 Alum Member
    619 karma

Thanks Josh! I really appreciate your input.

I'm right now doing the untimed drill for weaken, strengthen, and flaw questions and one thing I'm doing is covering up the question stem and answer choices at first and just looking at the argument and breaking it down and trying to find out what assumptions the author might possibly be making. And then I move on to the question stem and understand what the question stem is asking. And then I look at EACH answer choice separately by covering the others, and I think THIS is a really helpful method to implement. Usually I think when people look at all the answer choices, there may be that one answer choice that sticks out as the correct answer choice and even if it does turn out to be the correct answer choice, I think that biases people's perception when they are going over the wrong answer choices (at least it's true for me). So, when I'm going through one by one, I'm forcing myself to compare the answer choice against the assumptions that I came up with and really trying to explain to myself why this would be or would not be the correct answer choice. Anyway, if anyone is reading this post, I would highly recommend doing it just for fun!