Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SA Questions and Mental Hurdles

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

I guess I have a 2 part question in a way. First, I have been working on SA questions and I'm really having trouble putting everything together under timed conditions. I was fine with the questions that JY does to introduce you to SA questions (I would try to solve it before watching). Its like my mind starts to race and skips every other word when the clock starts. I don't want to use up too many of the problem sets under non-timed conditions but I'm finding myself having to do this to understand the question.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I get the logic part, but I just seem to fritz which leads me to my other question.

My biggest weakness is mentally focusing when under timed conditions. Like I said above, my mind gets fritzy and I lose all focus; especially if I don't understand what I'm reading the first time because I know I'm wasting precious seconds.

Any tips on what has worked to keep your mind calm and focused during PT's/actual tests?

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Hi @akeegs92 :)
    First, I would review the lesson on SA questions. If I didn't understand something in that lesson or wasn't I able to do some early PT SA questions on my own, then I'd go back and review the lessons on sufficiency. Next, I'd focus on timing by figuring out if it's just timing nerves or some other issue with understanding. After making sure I understand what SA questions are asking me to do and how to do that question type, I'd put on the stopwatch and see how long it takes me to answer SA questions. Then I'd focus on shortening that time by drilling a lot of them with the question bank.

If you can use older PTs 1 through the 40s. There's also this SA webinar- https://7sage.com/webinar/sufficient-assumptions/ Reviewing the basic logic lessons after having exposure to LSAT questions usually helps me get better at answering questions. I'd definitely go through some quizzes on sufficiency to also build more confidence and familiarity with that issue.

If mentally focusing under timed conditions is an issue for you, I'd also recommend making meditation part of your daily routine. Meditation has helped my focus while taking the test. There's a webinar on that too https://7sage.com/webinar/managing-stress/

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Awesome! Thanks for the tips @nessa.k13.0! I didnt think about the question bank! I'll have to try the mediation as well!

• Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma

Bottom line: Slow is fast.

Stress and panic will shut your brain down, HARD. I know this all too well because I have a job that frequently involves on-the-spot mental arithmetic, and there is a patent correlation between my stress level and my ability to perform those cognitive tasks. It has been an explicit concern of mine for years, esp. since my credibility depends on it.

So hear me when I tell you that rushing yourself will not work. The fastest, most accurate approach to analyzing problems is to calm down, put your worries aside, and focus on the problem. This will feel too slow when you're in a rush, but remember 2 things: (i) trust the clock to tell you what's too slow, not your subjective sense and (ii) an RAF (ready, aim, fire) approach, if somewhat slower per shot, is more accurate and ultimately faster than taking multiple shots (frantically re-reading).

Re-reading a problem or, God forbid, an RC passage, is like re-packing an old muzzle-loader. It's such a loss of time when you botch the first attempt. It happens, but you have to keep it together and minimize those occurrences. Know when to skip, too.

Try to relax by taking comfort in the knowledge that you actually perform best when you're calm and confident.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

This is true @Q.E.D. I'm not the most patient person in the world when it comes to tests so this will be a tough habbit to break but it is necessary. Thanks for the advice!