PT10.S1.Q18 - people cannot be morally responsible

lsatjourneylsatjourney Member
edited January 2017 in Logical Reasoning 207 karma

I'm having trouble negating and translating the first sentence of this question. How am I supposed to negate a sentence with two group four indicators?

Comments

• SamiSami Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited February 2017 10801 karma

Hey so the first sentence of the stimulus says (I think you mean the stimulus and not the question itself) :

"People cannot be morally responsible for things which they have no control".
    So "cannot" means negate necessary. First lets write our first sentence down without "cannot ".
    Morally responsible ------> No control
    Since "cannot" means negate the necessary condition and we have "no control" in necessary, We want to negate the word "no control".
    This would now be written as:
    **Morally responsible ------> control. **

In other words: if people are held morally responsible for things then they have control over it.
    Contrapositive: If they don't have control then they are not morally responsible for it.

I think what you are asking me is not to negate the sentence but to see how the word "cannot" can be written down in conditional statement.
    Because if you want to actually do a negation on the above sentence (Morally responsible ------> control). You basically deny the necessary condition.
    So it will be written as:
    There exist at least one situation where it is possible to be Morally responsible and have no control.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if I missed the question you were asking <3

• lsatjourneylsatjourney Member
    207 karma

Right on point. This helped so much! Thank you Sami!