Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About how much time should I spend on each of the LR questions?

NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member

I'm on the MSS section and I'm trying to answer the question before the silent video ends (1m24s). Is that a good estimate for about how much time I should be spending on each questions for the real test?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited February 2017 8689 karma

The time you spend per question on an LR section will be distributed across a range. 84 seconds is simply the average of a 35 minute section divided by 25 questions. On a real-deal timed PT you will be banking time on the easy questions to expend on the harder questions. Generally speaking (this is not an absolute, but holds very well across all PTs) the first 9-10 questions will be on the easier end. From my own experience, the range of about 12-19 is where you will normally see questions that will take you a bit longer than the 1-10 range.

Delving a bit beyond your initial question, skipping strategies are also an integral part to many test taker's approach, there is a webinar on the topic that you might find useful. It can be found here: https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

Any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

David

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

In addition to the above comments, you might find a recent post on this matter instructive. It can be found here:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/10463/timing-skipping-pt-strategies-answer-10-q-s-in-10-minutes-vs-net-10-q-s-in-10-minutes

The credit and work of that post goes to @twssmith

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Agreed with @BinghamtonDave . The average time is largely arbitrary. If I spend 1:35 on a 1 star question, that's an error even if I get the right answer. If I spend 2:30 on a 5 star in my extra time at the end, I'm fine with that. So it really does depend.

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Like @"Cant Get Right" and @BinghamtonDave said above me it is sort of relative. For example, I try to do MP questions ins :35 seconds and harder Parallel reasoning in 2 minutes...