Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Importance of simulating a full 5 section PT?

CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
edited May 2017 in General 550 karma

Hi all,

I know that LSAC says to take PT under true timed conditions, which includes a 5th (experimental) section. However JY mentioned in the core curriculum that he didn't think the difference between taking a 4 and a 5 section PT was that big, because on the actual day adrenaline will keep us going.

Sometimes I am short on time and just do a 4 section PT. Am I doing myself a massive disservice? Thoughts?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

I had no idea JY ever said this, but I completely agree and have said the same myself. Not taking five-section PTs every time is not a huge deal, providedyou've taken more than just several with five sections (maybe 10 or more, at the very least). I took four-section PTs when first prepping and when getting back from breaks. Other times, I took four sections when I too was short on time. And I knew adding another section was going to make me dread taking the test. The real thing is different - you (hopefully) will have your entire schedule worked around that one test.

As test day waned, I incorporated more and more five-section PTs into my schedule, and by the end, I was only taking five-section PTs. But mixing in four-section PTs throughout isn't a bad idea at all, in my opinion, if you've exposed yourself enough to what a five-section PT is like and at least primarily stick with five full sections during the months leading up to test day. There are, of course, more benefits to taking five sections. Using random sections - typically retakes - allows you to gauge your progress and stubborn weaknesses, along with almost inevitably revealing new ones.

Adrenaline on test day was a huge factor for me personally on test day. Never have I moved so quickly and intensely on any one PT. I guess I wouldn't count on it, but if you've tested yourself consistently and reliably with five-section PTs and know you can do them, and use at least primarily five sections in the last few months, I really don't think you will see any disadvantage to taking some four-section PTs. And in fact, I think taking only four sections is at times beneficial, even relative to taking five.

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2017 457 karma

Hi @CinnamonTea!

I can't speak for others, but I did not do a 5th section for the majority of my PTing. If you can get through a full PT and not feel totally drained, then I don't think it is imperative to add a 5th section every time. When I got closer to my test date, however, I did add the 5th section to simulate the same experience I would have during the real thing. I did this with practice tests for around 3 weeks.

I think the main factor to consider is how strong your test stamina is currently. Why not take a PT with a 5th section and see how you feel mentally? If you do not feel any significant difference in your fatigue, you could probably get away with not adding the section until later. If you notice that you feel pretty beat after 5 sections, then definitely consider adding the 5th every time to increase your stamina.

The other thing to consider is that your score data may change with the 5th section added. It is hard to know how you will be affected without trying it first.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

No real opinion, but I've spoken to JY about this exact thing. It is one of those things where you SHOULD try it out, but honestly, it might not make you or break you. That's not by any means what he said; but, its the gist. If it were me, I would make sure I took 5 or so 5 section tests. Literally. I just don't see stamina as an issue for me. If you feel fatigued and lagging add in a 5th section. However, don't feel it compulsory-- because if you only knew the amount of people who thought this would fix internal problems, I'd have $12.00. and buy Chipotle with it.

On the other hand, if you worry about stamina or just want to extra practice -- what do you have to lose but 35 minutes and learning more? Can't lose in my opinion. :)

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Where do they sell the 5 part PT's? The "10 Actual LSAT" series only does the 4 scored sections and no experimental.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I think it depends on the individual, like others have said. For me, I like to do more of them as it A) helps me deal with mental fatigue, B) Deal with test anxiety of getting sections dont' like C) Allows me to work on problem areas while doing a test.

I am working on extra RC sections right now as my 5th section to really help my stamina and improve on RC.

Cambridge used to sell 5 section tests, but just add an section to a test and youre good. The left over sections from tests you drilled are a great way to go. Of of you're trying to full proof 1-38 they can also be added. Its really up to you.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@stepharizona said:
    I think it depends on the individual, like others have said. For me, I like to do more of them as it A) helps me deal with mental fatigue, B) Deal with test anxiety of getting sections dont' like C) Allows me to work on problem areas while doing a test.

I am working on extra RC sections right now as my 5th section to really help my stamina and improve on RC.

Cambridge used to sell 5 section tests, but just add an section to a test and youre good. The left over sections from tests you drilled are a great way to go. Of of you're trying to full proof 1-38 they can also be added. Its really up to you.

Yup -- this is where I was getting the majority if mine!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited February 2017 10774 karma

@CinnamonTea said:
    Hi all,

I know that LSAC says to take PT under true timed conditions, which includes a 5th (experimental) section. However JY mentioned in the core curriculum that he didn't think the difference between taking a 4 and a 5 section PT was that big, because on the actual day adrenaline will keep us going.

Sometimes I am short on time and just do a 4 section PT. Am I doing myself a massive disservice? Thoughts?

Hey so just because JY did it this way doesn't mean it was right! <3 Or should be done this way. <3 Back in the day he was just a student like us and had good/bad ideas. The key is he would probably agree that doing 5 sections is a better preparation for LSAT. This is because habit is key to doing well on LSAT and replicating the exact test day conditions is one aspect of it. You want your brain to feel like it has done this test in this way so many times before that everything about it is just familiar except the new stimulus being presented to you.

Plus, It doesn't take a lot to add a 5th section and it can only help build that internal clock inside you where something on the test day is not new. I would say go ahead and get into the habit of doing a 5th section. It's one less thing you will have to worry about.

Also, take a look at how many people complain about getting two back to back RC or 3 LR sections in a row on test day. You don't want to feel tired or overwhelmed by this <3

Good luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Sami said:

@CinnamonTea said:
    Hi all,

Hey so just because JY did it this way doesn't mean it was right! <3 Or should be done this way. <3 Back in the day he was just a student like us and had good/bad ideas. The key is he would probably agree that doing 5 sections is a better preparation for LSAT. This is because habit is key to doing well on LSAT and replicating the exact test day conditions is one aspect of it. You want your brain to feel like it has done this test in this way so many times before that everything about it is just familiar except the new stimulus being presented to you.

Plus, It doesn't take a lot to add a 5th section and it can only help build that internal clock inside you where something on the test day is not new. I would say go ahead and get into the habit of doing a 5th section. It's one less thing you will have to worry about.

Also, take a look at how many people complain about getting two back to back RC or 3 LR sections in a row on test day. You don't want to feel tired or overwhelmed by this <3

Good luck!

Yeah, this argument definitely holds water, JY was once a padawan, before he was a master Jedi, so maybe @sami here makes a great point. I haven't taken enough 4 or 5 section tests to know the difference to have any informed opinion on it. I just know of a lot of people (yeah, it's a flow... sorry) but a shit ton of people who all did well and took 5-section tests. Then again, you get the more rare types who read the Bibles and study for 8 weeks and get a 174 having taken five 4-sections tests.

If you're sometimes short on time, however, it is better to do a 4-section test so long as you can thoroughly BR it. I think one of my greatest enemies on taking this test was not doing something because I couldn't do it exactly perfect-by-the-book. For instance, I would neglect doing something a simple as a full LG section because I might not have time to finish them all. "So what?" I could always finish them after lunch, but, hey, it was always easier to tell myself not to bother at all.... So just avoid that mentality is all I'm saying.

5 sections is probably the way you want to practice eventually. But I don't subscribe to the school of thought of mandatory 5-6-7-8 section tests (Yes, some people get this crazy, lol)