Pseudo sufficient question - meaning?

cmcstubbscmcstubbs Free Trial Member
edited July 2014 in Logical Reasoning 4 karma
All the different companies use different phrases for question types and I'm getting a bit confused by the different terms. Can someone explain what pseudo sufficient questions mean?

Comments

• Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    Pseudo-sufficient assumption questions ask you to identify an assumption that is *almost* sufficient to conclude that the reasoning in the stimulus is valid. Alone, it can't take the argument to the point of complete validity, but it gets most of the way there.

PSA questions are often phrased like this: "Which one of the following principles, if true, most helps to justify the reasoning above?" The key here is "most" -- that is, it doesn't need to completely and totally justify the reasoning; it just needs to give it a lot of support.

Does that help at all?
  • selinaselina Alum Member
    73 karma
    Allison thanks for the explanation!! I don't know why when I did the lessons I didn't get what PSA was but now I do so thank you!

I want to practice PSA questions do you know where I could find a list of them? Or maybe everywhere else they lump it into the assumption category...
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    PSEUDO SUFFICIENT ASSUMPTION QUESTIONS Lesson 20 of 40
    • Similar to SA questions
    • Analysis
    • Sometimes A’(A prime, therefore you’re not really able to conclude B)
    • Just a little bit lacking – not exactly airtight
    • Think of PSA questions as SA questions
    • Still have to analyze the argument & engage with it.
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    There's a PSA problem set in the Ultimate 7Sage course - maybe it doesn't come with the course you're doing?
  • jiangzihaoalexjiangzihaoalex Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    What's the difference between PSA and strengthening question? Just the fact that strengthening question dose not require validity?
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    @jiangzihaoalex In a strengthen question you pick the answer choice that strengthens the relationship of the premise and conclusion. This can be done by adding another premise that strengthens that relationship. It's the same for weakening too except your weakening that relationship.