Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got Accommodations.. but its 5 parts? Not 4?

Gary NYCGary NYC Free Trial Member
in General 95 karma

Hey Guys,

I just got time and a half from the LSAT for a condition, but I thought that my test would be 4 parts. They list it as giving me the experimental section too. I thought that when you get accommodations that you don't get the experimental section. Does anybody know anything on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Yeah they recently started adding the experimental section for accommodated tests

• Gary NYCGary NYC Free Trial Member
    95 karma

:( thanks for the help!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@"Gary NYC" said:
    :( thanks for the help!

:( Yeah. I believe this started for the September 2016 LSAT. Well I'm glad you figured it out sooner than when they first stuck it to accommodated takers. Many students literally found out a few weeks before the LSAT they registered for via email.

• lemyxolemyxo Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Hi Gary, did you ever take the Lsat after posting this? Did you get the experimental section?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

they recently decided to give those with accommodations an experimental as well

• bethbethbethbeth Member
    23 karma

I just got off the phone with LSAC regarding this issue. They are giving 5 sections to accommodated testers. This sucks for me because (1) I've been practicing with 4 sections and (2) I have 100% more time and 30 minute breaks. This means my test is 8 hours long. This is a long time to concentrate. Its really a test of endurance now.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@bethbeth I thought they split up 100% extra time into two days. Is that not the case?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@bethbeth

It's too bad that you are finding this out with short notice, but including the experimental section seems to be the right call on LSACs part.

Accommodations are about creating a fair playing field. Everyone has an experimental section and no one likes it. It would be a strange thing for them to take away as an accommodation. You need more time(or wouldn't be able to compete on a level playing field). You don't have any comparable need for a more certain knowledge of whether a section is real or not so taking away the experimental section from you would not be a very reasonable accommodation.

@"samantha.ashley92"
    I have no idea if they split the time into two days, but that seems like a reasonable way of accounting for any stress created by the increased length of the test.

23 karma

So I just did the calculations again. With my break before the writing sample and the writing sample, my test is 9.5 hours. They are not splitting it up between two days. I'm calling LSAC in the morning. I should have done the math sooner, but I thought I only had 4 sections and that time was more manageable than a 9.5 hour LSAT day.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I thought they generally gave students in this situation 2 days.

23 karma

I called LSAC and they said that the only option was to send an email to accommodations. Having the test scheduled over two days is considered an extra accommodation. I also have start and stop the clock breaks, so my test could potentially be longer than 9.5 hours. I am concerned that LSAC won't get back to me in time. In more ridiculousness... I talked to the testing center and they will not allow me to bring in more than a snack for my exam. They said that unless it is expressly stated on my accommodations letter, I will not be allowed to bring in lunch or dinner. So... 9.5 hours (9 - 7:30), LSAT, only a snack??? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can expedite a response from LSAC? If you count Friday as a business day, they have 6 days to respond. Thats not a lot of time.

• ky133333ky133333 Alum Member
    20 karma

@bethbeth said:
    I called LSAC and they said that the only option was to send an email to accommodations. Having the test scheduled over two days is considered an extra accommodation. I also have start and stop the clock breaks, so my test could potentially be longer than 9.5 hours. I am concerned that LSAC won't get back to me in time. In more ridiculousness... I talked to the testing center and they will not allow me to bring in more than a snack for my exam. They said that unless it is expressly stated on my accommodations letter, I will not be allowed to bring in lunch or dinner. So... 9.5 hours (9 - 7:30), LSAT, only a snack??? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can expedite a response from LSAC? If you count Friday as a business day, they have 6 days to respond. Thats not a lot of time.

I had the same issue for the September LSAT, except I was not given as many breaks. LSAC did not allow me to take the test in 2 days because that additional request was done after the time period for requesting accommodations had passed. In short, I took the test in September with my gallon size zip lock bag packed with a ton of snacks and registered for the December test with testing over 2 days as a requested accommodation. In my experience having been in the same situation, there is no way to expedite a response from LSAC (I both called and emailed and it took almost two weeks for a disappointing response). However, I wish you luck on your test!

• windows95windows95 Alum Member
    27 karma

For the snack I'd just suggest packing really calorie dense foods like assorted nuts, rice cakes, peanut butter sandwiches, meal replacement bars, dried fruit or a banana to fill up... You might be surprised how much you can fit in a gallon bag.

Good Luck!