Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE and LSAT timing

Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
edited March 2017 in General 893 karma

I was hoping that I could get some group thought capital on timing of taking these tests. Background is as follows - I am a (much) older non-URM who is planning on doing a joint JD/MBA. I was planning on doing the LSAT first, then taking the GRE based on advice from Pacifico in June, 2016. I have a couple of years on that schedule before I can start school, so that would give me enough time to give LSAT a year, and GRE 6 months. Spivey mentioned that I need top scores to get into a top place or there is very little chance I can get return on investment with the years left in my career.

Now, with the announcement that Harvard is accepting GRE in hopes of attracting more STEM type candidates, I am wondering if I should take the GRE first? I would hope that enough other T14 schools follow Harvard in the next year or so to give me a decent list of places to apply to. Perhaps I could avoid having to take the LSAT, which I am finding very tricky. I have education and significant work experience in 2 of the STEM fields.

If I could get a high GRE and use that for both law and business school, I could cut my wait to start by perhaps a year.

What would you do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I do expect more schools to follow Harvard's example. I don't know what kind of a timeline to expect for that to happen though. From what I understand, the GRE verbal section is kind of just like a really easy LSAT. So if your math is already solid, it might be worth going ahead and taking a stab at it depending on where you are in your LSAT prep. Until other schools officially green light GRE though, I'd be very cautious about relying on that being an option at a significant number of schools for at least the immediate future.