Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main Point of Argument vs. Main Point of Conclusion questions

shindavis16shindavis16 Core Member
edited March 2017 in Logical Reasoning 130 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" or others that have an answer:

How do you know, in LR questions where some Q stems require us to identify the main point of the "Argument" and others ask specifically to identify the main point of the "conclusion"; when, such as in the "Camera Lens" LR question JY explains, to include the (P) in the paraphrased answer or only the (C)? Or are all of these "Main Point Questions" only wanting us to single out the conclusion and paraphrase it?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

The terms: Main point and main conclusion are referring to the same thing. Both contain the implicit notion that there is support for that conclusion in the stimulus, meaning the argument is building towards that thing. If an argument has a main point on this exam then by definition that point is supported by premises. Main point/main conclusion questions are labeling exercises. What this means is we are asked to: extract the main point and differentiate it from the support and then paraphrase that main point with an answer choice. I revisit a stack of these questions at least once per week for practice, they are of foundational importance to a successful approach to the LR section of the LSAT.

I am unaware of a stem that asks us to identify the "main point of the conclusion." If you come across a question worded that way, please respond below and I can take a look at it.

I hope this helps
    David

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

I agree with David. Main point of the argument is essentially/exactly the same as the main conclusion. With the camera lenses example you cited, the main point/conclusion is in the stimulus: "differences between cameras in this respect (lens resolution) is irrelevant for practical photography", then give us the supporting premises of Since... and C is just a restatement/paraphrase of the conclusion, not the premises as you indicated in the comment section of that Q, if I didn't misunderstand your comment there.

But to answer your last question, yes, the main point/conclusion in all such Qs will have to be embedded within the stimulus and have us find the restatement/paraphrase of such in the ACs. Only one of the MSS types would give us all premises in the stimulus then have us prove out the MP in the ACs.

• shindavis16shindavis16 Core Member
    130 karma

@BinghamtonDave There is an example of what I am talking about on PT 34, sect 2 Q18
    The question stem reads: Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the editorialists argument?

My issue is when being compared to a QS that asks, Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main point of the argument? (PT 29 Sec 1 Q 11) are these QS's synonymous?

I wasn't sure if this implied that I was to include the premise or just the conclusion since it mentions the entire argument in the second stem. @"Heart Shaped Box" Reading those two QS's, am I to interpret them exactly the same? Meaning, I am to simply find the paraphrased conclusion among the AC's?
    Thanks to you both!

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited March 2017 2426 karma

"Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the editorialists argument?"

"Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main point of the argument?"

I would even go one step further and say these two question stems are not just synonymous but exactly the same: to find the the main point/conclusion of the argument. and David's previous answer is spot on: "extract the main point and differentiate it from the support and then paraphrase that main point with an answer choice."

And you are right that with MP Qs, you are simply to find the paraphrased conclusion among the ACs, but you do need to know what/where the premises/contexts are within stimulus in order to be able to find the main conclusion first before you could paraphrase.

A personal advice here is that I would really make sure to solidify the understanding on MP Qs before moving on, as the ability to ID the MP is the corner stone of LR or even the LSAT this entire test as a whole (excluding LG) and we absolutely cannot afford to have soft spots on this very fundamental of the fundamentals for the test, so I would really revisit the lessons in the CC and redo all the labeling excises like David advised above, then pull out all the MP Qs within older PTs under 7sage Q banks and drill them until you completely get it down.

Keep us posted and good luck.

• shindavis16shindavis16 Core Member
    130 karma

@"Heart Shaped Box" Thank you very much!!! I thrive on rules and I was getting the questions right until I hit that bump in the road. I wasn't sure what rule applied. Now that you guys clarified the rule and I see it, I feel much better. Thank you. I am going through the past instruction currently to make sure I haven't missed or forgotten something.