Logic games in the CC / general LSAT study advice wanted

edited March 2017 in Logical Reasoning 1025 karma

I am nearing the end of the games portion in the CC [total progress %77] and I was wondering if I should have been fool proofing every single problem set or not. I have been studying 55 hour weeks for the past month now and I am still "35 hours" (according to the syllabus) behind in the CC. I think fool proofing the enormous amount of games would take a few weeks.

I am fully open and willing to take the time and fool proof the hell out of these games, but I was wondering if taking two weeks to get all of them done is worth it if it sets me back two weeks on my study schedule.

I do realize that the ultimate goal here is it do well on the LSAT and that this method will enable me to do so. But I just feel a bit overwhelmed as I am always behind in the CC, no matter how rigorous I set my my own study schedule.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@TheDeterminedC fool proofing is definitely well worth it. I initially went through the curriculum without fool proofing but LG did not come hard to me. I started fool proofing when I started PT for any missed questions. I don't think you necessarily have to do 10 for each question but if you missed any you should repeat until you can complete under the suggested time without errors. I too was always behind on the curriculum but does it really matter? If you have to push back whatever test date you entered then so be it. I think ppl generally implement rigorous fool proofing after finishing the curriculum. I've also seen some do an LG intensive and stop working on other sections of the test for about 2 weeks. It's really whatever works for you. I will say that if you're having trouble during the problem sets then you should implement the fool proof method now.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think as soon as you finish the LG portion of the LG CC you should begin fool proofing. You won't always need 10 copies because 10-15% or so of the games are probably just simple single layer sequencing games that you'll nail the first time or so. Then there's moderate ones that may take you 5 attempts. Then there's beasts that I know took me 10. I'm actually working my way fool proofing 1-35 still. I just try to break it down by doing the section I did yesterday and another section today. I keep doing them, watching the explanations, and repeating until I got them. I also try to drill random LG questions daily as well from the packets.

The sooner you start the better! LG takes a lot of time and consistency to get good at so you should begin as soon as you can.

• 1025 karma

Ah! Awesome, thank you for this advice. I will more then likely start when I finish the CC in two weeks. Thank you for your input. It seems as if focusing on a particular section at a time is the way to go. At least this is what I understood from y'alls suggestions.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I think generally right after CC it's a good practice to fool proof any game you had trouble with. But don't let this hold you back either, meaning that if you killing games and finish sections in 30 minutes you can just BR them and that is good enough.

Be your own judge and executioner; do it until you are 100% confident in your abilities. Then when you are, save it for games where you get any questions wrong

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    Ah! Awesome, thank you for this advice. I will more then likely start when I finish the CC in two weeks. Thank you for your input. It seems as if focusing on a particular section at a time is the way to go. At least this is what I understood from y'alls suggestions.

I definitely feel that working on one section at a time is the way to go once you learn the fundamentals of everything. Logic, grammar, argument forms, diagramming, etc.
    It doesn't mean you can't do an RC/LR section a day to keep up and practice. But if you mainly focused on LG, then that surely wouldn't hurt!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    I am nearing the end of the games portion in the CC [total progress %77] and I was wondering if I should have been fool proofing every single problem set or not. I have been studying 55 hour weeks for the past month now and I am still "35 hours" (according to the syllabus) behind in the CC. I think fool proofing the enormous amount of games would take a few weeks.

I am fully open and willing to take the time and fool proof the hell out of these games, but I was wondering if taking two weeks to get all of them done is worth it if it sets me back two weeks on my study schedule.

I do realize that the ultimate goal here is it do well on the LSAT and that this method will enable me to do so. But I just feel a bit overwhelmed as I am always behind in the CC, no matter how rigorous I set my my own study schedule.
    Any thoughts?

Hey Congratulations! : )

And I think the timing of fool proofing depends on how you are doing with LG. Most of us end up needing to do fool proof at one time or others, and some us need to do it twice. It's also a skill that once learned can slip away so you really have to put in the work to maintain it every day till you give the test.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I just finished up the CC myself and I had the same question in regards to when to fool proof. I had different answers and I ultimately went with waiting till I finished the CC and switched to the mastering phase. I definitely made sure I understood what the process of everything was before I moved on, but I wanted to finish the CC first so I could sit down and solely focus on LG better. But as everyone said above, it comes down to personal preference and comfort.