Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Embedded conditional OR referential phrase?

CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
in General 550 karma

Hi all,

Having trouble understanding when there is an embedded conditional (or, the LSAT wants us to view it as such) or a referential phrase that uses an "if", for example, within a simple conditional.

Here's a specific example: PT70.S1.Q23

"Columnist: Although most people favor the bill, it will not be passed for several years..."

All of the answers, except for answer choice D, have embedded conditionals (or what I think are embedded conditionals) in them. Here are the answer choices:
(A) "In a well-functioning democracy, any bill that would benefit most people will be passed into law within a few years if it does not violate anyone’s basic human rights."
(B) If a democracy is well functioning, then any bill that is opposed by influential people but favored by most other people will eventually pass into law.
(C) In a well-functioning democracy, a bill that is favored by most people will become law within a few years only if those who oppose it are not very influential.
(D) Any bill passed into law in a well-functioning democracy will be favored by most people and be consistent with individuals’ basic human rights. (NO EMBEDDED CONDITIONAL HERE)
(E) A bill that most people favor will be passed promptly into law in a well-functioning democracy if the bill does not violate anyone’s basic human rights.

So 2 questions:
(1) I would appreciate a detailed rundown of the answer choices; specifically, how do you read them (i.e., as embedded conditionals? As a simple conditional with a referential phrase)? And also why/why not they are correct,
(2) More generally, how do you know when something is an embedded conditional or just a simple conditional with a referential phrase inside of it?

Comments