Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on whether to write in September or December?

H.al1997H.al1997 Member
in General 318 karma

Hey everyone,

I started the CC in January, and I have only completed 23% (Ultimate+). I paid for the June test thinking I would be ready, but obviously that's not the case. I am guessing that I will start PT'ing by July 1st for sure, but that would leave 2 solid months of PT exams, which is like 8 total exams if I am lucky and doing a comprehensive overview.

I am thinking that December would be an ideal date for me, and I know that it will give me enough time to practice at the score I need. However, I am worried about leaving it to the last possible chance, what if something happens that day?? My top two law schools don't take the February test either, and I really do NOT want to extend another year in my undergrad (I am going on my fifth now).

I was thinking of just writing in September, and then I can still use December as a back-up (which, like I said, is probably the best option considering it gives me enough time to really go through the CC and to do enough PT exams).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

More time is just going to mean you have more time to prep. I think thats generally always better. You want to give yourself plenty of time to drill, return to weak spots, rectify them, and then take 20+ PTs and BR. Which will also include returning to the CC and working on problems. And exactly, you can use December as a back up. Just seems to make more sense.

Law school isn't going anywhere and you can and should get some work experience first. At least IMO. And study for the test as long as need be. I'm aiming for December, but, hey, if I'm scoring in the 164 range and not 170 I'm postponing again. You have to decide to always take the better score over the earlier date. What's a year or two difference for a 50+ year career, the prospects, the salary, and the opportunities. If someone told you if you just study for 18 months you can get into HYS would you do it? OI bet most people with good GPAs could do just that.... But for some reason they would rather throw in the towel. Not saying that's you... The fact you are asking is clear to me you are prudent and making the smarter choice. Who knows, maybe you will be ready by June.... You just never know.... But always plan on taking as much time as you need! The LSAT can be worth ... just about everything. 100k, 200k, your dream school, dream job, and just the life you want.

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma

Set a cut-off date and a score range to decide whether you'll be taking the September test. Do everything in your power within reason to get within that range by that cut-off date. If that date comes and you haven't been consistently scoring within your range, then the obvious course of action will be to postpone to December.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    More time is just going to mean you have more time to prep. I think thats generally always better. You want to give yourself plenty of time to drill, return to weak spots, rectify them, and then take 20+ PTs and BR. Which will also include returning to the CC and working on problems. And exactly, you can use December as a back up. Just seems to make more sense.

Law school isn't going anywhere and you can and should get some work experience first. At least IMO. And study for the test as long as need be. I'm aiming for December, but, hey, if I'm scoring in the 164 range and not 170 I'm postponing again. You have to decide to always take the better score over the earlier date. What's a year or two difference for a 50+ year career, the prospects, the salary, and the opportunities. If someone told you if you just study for 18 months you can get into HYS would you do it? OI bet most people with good GPAs could do just that.... But for some reason they would rather throw in the towel. Not saying that's you... The fact you are asking is clear to me you are prudent and making the smarter choice. Who knows, maybe you will be ready by June.... You just never know.... But always plan on taking as much time as you need! The LSAT can be worth ... just about everything. 100k, 200k, your dream school, dream job, and just the life you want.

I agree completely with @"Alex Divine". I would add also you need to figure out if you're intent on applying this fall or next fall. It is true, there isn't much to fall on if you don't do well in Dec but if you feel like you'll be ready then go for it. It will give you more time to prep.

I just restarted myself at the same time as you and was hoping to write in June but chose to push back to September, so I know what you're thinking. Don't rush this process. Go with a timeline that feels comfortable with your goals.

Good luck!!!!

• Ellie0257Ellie0257 Member
    200 karma

@mnr12345 I'm in agreement with the other comments people have made so far, and I think it is pretty clear that if you are not meeting your score range goal by the time you plan take the test, then it makes most sense to postpone your test date. I am in a similar situation as you in the sense that I wanted to apply this year. However, I am considering taking another year to reach a higher LSAT score as well as gain work experience. I am not sure what your reasons are for not wanting to postpone your law school applications for another year, but I would advise you to really sketch out the pros and cons for waiting a year, and maybe you will come to the conclusion that your reasons for wanting to apply this year are not strong enough to keep you from waiting. But ultimately, I believe you are the only one who can know what is best for you, and the wisest decision for you is not something that anyone else can definitively know. Your life decisions should be based on your goals and dreams and the path that will best suit you! Hope that helps!