Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know when the big, call-in Study Group will start for December 2017's LSAT?

I apologize if a few of you fine mentors have already told me when this group will start to gear up, and I know its really early days yet. But, I wanted to get a feel for my Summer full time & Fall part-time study plan with respect to at what point I should be at in my studies in order to join such a group. If I was told, it has totally slipped my mind---I'll write it down this time!

I know I need to be done with CC and starting to PT with BR, and I know one jumps in whenever one reaches that numbered PT within the group's schedule, but I wanted to get a tentative long range game plan in place to find out how I can consistently join this highly recommended group study, whenever it starts.
Plus, I'd like to find out if I'm just too slow and should not consider sitting for Dec '17 as a reasonable goal, or if I'm close to the target. I realize study pace is entirely individual, and I can guess June '17 (and September '17) dates and groups come first at the moment.

But one question that keeps nagging at me, specifically: there are so many PTs, does the Study Group start at 36 or somewhere in the 50s (that's a totally random guess), or some other number, to reach the most recent & published LSAT by 1 week before test date?

And, do the groups cover every single PT or just a sampling in each group of ten: # 40s, 50s, 60, 70s, & 80s.

I thought this might help new 7Sagers get a long range game plan in place too.

Thanks!

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Hi ScooterMinon!

Based on when study groups have started in the past, the Dec group will likely not get started at least until the end of the summer.

The groups usually start PTs in the 40s or 50s not the 30s. I believe this is so that you can practice drills and intesives with the earlier PTs. Also all the packages (starter, premium, etc) have early PT explainations.

We definitely won't schedule every PT because of time and the idea that you should not burn every single PT. This is so that if you don't reach the score you want in say September, you have PTs left that you haven't seen to practice for December with. Seeing PTs takes away that unknown element of surprise and is an advantage. The idea is that we mimic test conditions as much as possible to obtain a closer estimate of our test day performance.

You should join a study group when you are in that phase 2 approaching phase 3 that CGR mentioned in his webinar. This means when you have finished the CC and basic drilling and need to start getting ready for that test date you are aiming for. I wouldn't join a study group a month before a test though (unless you are already PTing in your target range) because that's too close to the test day to get what you could out of the study groups. Since you know you are planning on joining a group for December, focus on foolproofing games, nailing your RC strategy, and drilling weaknesses in LR, after going through the CC.

I love that you are thinking ahead about this! I will also say that of all the people that are tagged in the list, so few show up. Specifically the max I've seen with the June group is 13 but usually 5 people show up regularly to a study group day from week to week. Those people get the most out of it as they get help from others to eliminate weaknesses, they hear and work through timing strategies, practice with sages etc. Do not get intimidated by the number of people tagged (as people don't attend for various reasons and want to be in the loop). I've had people ask about the size and attendance but you get out of study groups the amount of time and effort you put in. When you push yourself and engage you can really see a lot of improvement. This to say, don't let all the big block of tagged names discourage you or anyone else from attending!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" said:
    Hi ScooterMinon!

Based on when study groups have started in the past, the Dec group will likely not get started at least until the end of the summer.

The groups usually start PTs in the 40s or 50s not the 30s. I believe this is so that you can practice drills and intesives with the earlier PTs. Also all the packages (starter, premium, etc) have early PT explainations.

We definitely won't schedule every PT because of time and the idea that you should not burn every single PT. This is so that if you don't reach the score you want in say September, you have PTs left that you haven't seen to practice for December with. Seeing PTs takes away that unknown element of surprise and is an advantage. The idea is that we mimic test conditions as much as possible to obtain a closer estimate of our test day performance.

You should join a study group when you are in that phase 2 approaching phase 3 that CGR mentioned in his webinar. This means when you have finished the CC and basic drilling and need to start getting ready for that test date you are aiming for. I wouldn't join a study group a month before a test though (unless you are already PTing in your target range) because that's too close to the test day to get what you could out of the study groups. Since you know you are planning on joining a group for December, focus on foolproofing games, nailing your RC strategy, and drilling weaknesses in LR, after going through the CC.

I love that you are thinking ahead about this! I will also say that of all the people that are tagged in the list, so few show up. Specifically the max I've seen with the June group is 13 but usually 5 people show up regularly to a study group day from week to week. Those people get the most out of it as they get help from others to eliminate weaknesses, they hear and work through timing strategies, practice with sages etc. Do not get intimidated by the number of people tagged (as people don't attend for various reasons and want to be in the loop). I've had people ask about the size and attendance but you get out of study groups the amount of time and effort you put in. When you push yourself and engage you can really see a lot of improvement. This to say, don't let all the big block of tagged names discourage you or anyone else from attending!

Do we have a date for the september group to start up? I want to make sure I'm prepared adequately by then!

4141 karma

Hi @Mellow_Z !

I'd guess after the JuneLSAT

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

Hi @"nessa.k13.0" !

THANK YOU so much for taking the time for such wonderful detail!! <3

I get it now!

Great point about not burning through PTs in case one doesn't get the score one is after on the first sit, and needs to use those "unseen" PTs for later practice.

xo

1997 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" said:
    Hi @Mellow_Z !

I'd guess after the JuneLSAT

Hahaha thank you. In retrospect that answer was pretty obvious, I just didn't think much about it before asking. Sorry for the obliviousness :smile:

4141 karma

You're welcome @ScooterMinion ❤️❤️ I'm glad you're thinking ahead!

Haha @Mellow_Z nah it's not that obvious if you have been focusing on other things like the CC! I only guess that because that's what happened last time but it could change :)

• skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
    209 karma

@Mellow_Z Have the study groups for the December 2017 started?

• taylor.lingltaylor.lingl Alum Member
    22 karma

Does anyone know if people are still following this schedule for the December 2017 exam?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NqvbW4p83dpFmihrUOeWf6Dx8ETo25rLE1q1nPzOrpg/edit?usp=sharing

1997 karma

@"taylor.lingl" said:
    Does anyone know if people are still following this schedule for the December 2017 exam?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NqvbW4p83dpFmihrUOeWf6Dx8ETo25rLE1q1nPzOrpg/edit?usp=sharing

@skrishnan said:
    @Mellow_Z Have the study groups for the December 2017 started?

Hi guys! Sorry I missed both posts. I think @"side braid" has taken the reigns on the December study group. The schedule posted on the google doc was more geared towards September takers who wanted to retake in December. I don't know if it would be the best plan of attack for someone wanting to take December for the first time (you'd want to put the newer tests closer to your test date). I believe she has some posts running about when they are meeting. Let me know if you have any questions though !