Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sucking At The Logic Games "Sequencing With A Twist" Problem Set

MiliPatel1MiliPatel1 Alum Member
edited August 2014 in General 66 karma
How long do logic games take to click? If I do enough and make sure I can memorize and do all the problem sets will I be better equipped for future games (not completely set, but better equipped)? I just can't do more then like 2 questions for each game and it is very discouraging. Any tips/advice? Obviously JY stresses practice, but during a video he's like "yea like try to get this done in 5 minutes".... when I was staring at my page and did 2 problems after 20 minutes.

Any advice? Or tips?

Comments

• serendipityserendipity Alum Member
    edited December 2014 42 karma
    edit
  • MiliPatel1MiliPatel1 Alum Member
    66 karma
    Thanks so much for your input! Definitely I want to know all the logic games we did in the syllabus like the back of my hand. So hopefully then I can approach future ones using the inferences and techniques I learned. Thanks for the tip!
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    edited August 2014 802 karma
    I think it took me about 12-14 PTs before I started seeing the -2 and -0 land in LG. It was consistently my weakest area. Practice makes perfect. Don't be nervous about low numbers as you get started.
    The biggest jumps for me came after two revelations:
    1. If I can't figure out the game board, I don't freak out, I just brute force until my 8.5 minutes are up, then move to the next game. I usually figured out the game type after the first 2 or 3 questions.
    2. One of the 7Sagers suggested making hypothetical boards for rule driven games to rule out WRONG answers. I'd always been looking for RIGHT answers... huge aha moment since right answers can sometimes take longer to find than wrong answers (there are 4 of them after all). Works especially well on MBT and MBF types but works well for CBT types too. Worst case scenario, your guess goes from blind, to fairly educated which increases your odds.

Don't get down in LG. Just keep going and don't expect huge jumps. Let the steady improvements come over time.
  • MiliPatel1MiliPatel1 Alum Member
    66 karma
    Thanks so much for the advice Joe! I am 90% through the 7Sage curriculum and before I start blazing through PT's I am going to review all the logic games from the lessons/problem sets and make sure I know how to do them 100% accurately. Definitely I hear practice makes perfect so I won't be giving up!

• ma_12345ma_12345 Alum Member
    41 karma
    I want to start repeating games as well. When you guys say the games on the syllabus, are you referring to the problem sets or the ones in the initial videos? I really want to start but I feel so overwhelmed with the amount of games I have to repeat.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2014 3438 karma
    Matt_1234: Try to do them all... even though it takes a long time... the games are the portion for the LSAT that is there for the taking... don't worry about the time... it gets better as you go along and things start becoming like second nature to you. Its difficult to imagine this but it does happen... if it helps motivate you, I repeated the sequencing and sequencing with a twist to the last game and got my first 170+ score on a PT even though it was one of the early ones.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    @matt_1234 My take on repeating games is to kind of go against the conventional wisdom voiced here (to print 10 copies of EVERY game). I say this because depending on when you want to write, doing most or all of the games up to 10 times can be somewhat redundant and time consuming. So, my advice for you regarding repeating games is as follows:
    (1) Before you start doing timed sections, you should go through each individual game type untimed until it "clicks". The "click" shouldn't take to many games, i'd say no more than 4. Once you understand the foundation of the individual game types, then move onto the timed TYPES. So take for example, the simple sequencing problem set, and time each individual game. The point of the "click" is to get an understanding of how the specific game types work, once you have a strong foundation there, the idea is to then move onto timing yourself and doing review. Any games that you did not get perfect OR took more time than you believe it should have (depending on difficulty and type) are the ones you should repeat. So, when I need to repeat a game, I typically start with printing 4 copies (front/back of 2 pages) and redo it UNTIMED after watching the video explanation. At the end of the day I go ahead and try to repeat it under timed conditions and see how that goes. If it goes good then I save the other page for another day and time myself/use the other side for review if I need to do it untimed again. If I am still having much trouble, then I print more copies.

Do that process for each game type and do time/untimed for individual games.

(2) Now that you have a strong understanding of all the games, you should begin to move into timed sections. This is to allow yourself to shift from different types of games. An important thing here is that if you don't have an electronic version of your test, then you need to photocopy the games sections at least once, just incase you need future blank canvases to work from. So before you do the timed section, photocopy the section to save it for additional copies that you may need.

From there I do the timed section and see how it turned out. If I got perfect, then I simply watch the videos of each game, which is still good practice because sometimes it uncovers inferences or tricks you may have overlooked, so there is still value from watching the videos if you got perfect. Next, if any games gave me trouble I photocopy JUST THAT GAME and start collecting a pile of games I need to redo.

The purpose of the pile is that at the beginning or end of each day I will do a few games typically 3-4 timed. I usually do it at the beginning to get the brain going before I jump into deeper studies. At first the pile may be smaller, but some games you may end up needing to repeat and over time the pile begins to stack up and you can get a good rhythm. I also place in the pile any games that gave me trouble (even if I did good) or any games that took to long (even if I did good).

This method has worked for me, I am consistently scoring around -3/-0 on games. In/Out tend to be my weaknesses, as far as games go, they just simply take me to long. Anyways, hopes this helps and good luck with your studies.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2014 3438 karma
    Yes... I would also avoid doing every game 10 times even the ones which you don't get correct... do them till you get them correct... but not 10 times.. quite frankly there are other things to do with time &/or life...but I would still advise doing EVERY SINGLE game in the curriculum. And like Chrijani7 said.. drill till games click.
  • amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

In the beginning, it may take you ten tries to get -0 in the allotted time, but likely not for every type of game. The ones that take you more than 3-4 times (spaced out a week apart) are likely your weakness and the ones you should be especially focused on. Personally, I do a game until I can get -0 in the allotted time on my first try of the day, one week apart from my last try. If I don't, I will drill that game until I achieve that within the day and then try it one week later.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Please be mindful of the post date.

This discussion has been closed.