PT48.S4.Q21 - Sociologist: Traditional norms in our society

akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
edited May 2018 in Logical Reasoning 9382 karma

Sufficient Assumption question
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-48-section-4-question-21/

Under the timed condition, I got this question right by diagramming as follows:

Context: Ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies (A) → Sincerity (/B) (B → /A)
Premise: Succeed (C) → Trust (D)

Conclusion: Succeed (C) → face unpleasant realities and speak about them honestly (/A) (ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies)

Answer choice

(A): DB

So I picked (A) and moved on.

However, when I was BRing, I got confused by the first sentence:
"Traditional norms (...) prevent sincerity by requiring one to ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies."

Because of the word "require," I thought I should diagram as

(1) Sincerity (/B) → Ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies (A) (/B → A)

(Basically this means if you want to prevent sincerity you have to ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies.)

Since I couldn't connect the chains, I thought again and thought I was right diagramming as follows:

(2) Ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies (A) → Sincerity (/B) (B → /A)

(If you ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies, you can prevent sincerity)

But is (2) the right way to diagram this? Is it correct to think that "by" is a sufficient condition indicator? :(

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumping so more people can see!

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

I think your issue might be that you are incorrectly tying "requiring" to "prevent sincerity" rather than "Traditional norms in our society". The way I read it is, "Traditional norms in our society require one to ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies(B), which has the byproduct of preventing sincerity(A)." Which would make B a sufficient condition for A, not a necessary one.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9382 karma

Thank you!

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    1384 karma

A small note on this I saw on another forum:

Either [ignore unpleasant realities] or [tell small lies] would be sufficient to prevent S:

[IGN UR] or [TSL] → SINC

Hence,

SINC → [IGN UR] and [TSL]