Personal Statement content - Canadian law schools

Birdie966Birdie966 Free Trial Member

Can exposure to the legal system be written about in the personal statement, e.g. serving on a jury?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

It can but you need to sell it in a compelling way. Merely writing "I want to be a lawyer because I was on jury duty once and it was cool" isn't going to cut it. If you have a story about how the jury embodies a true democratic society and you truly believe in rights to a trial and bla bla blah and you want to uphold the law because people without a voice (criminals) rely on juries and a fair legal system blah blah blah.. and really explain WHY being on a jury changed you as a person and why it motivated you to go to law school, then yeah you can probably pull that off.

@"david.busis" would probably be able to answer this the best - and will likely offer some insight to Personal Statements on Tuesday. you should try and attend his webinar!

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/10959/webinar-personal-statement-bootcamp-tues-may-9th-9-pm-est

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I agree. Maybe bring this up at the Boot Camp on Tuesday! But generally speaking, law school personal statements don't have to be about law or why you want to go...unless you want them to be.