Waitlist Strategies besides visiting + LOCI?

RunawayJuryRunawayJury Alum Member
edited May 2017 in Law School Admissions 143 karma

So I just got rejected from my first choice law school in Canada today (3rd rejection so far, sadly).

Disappointed but I have no time for negativity...gotta think of waitlist strategies!

I am currently on the waitlist at one university and being considered for the waitlist at another.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on waitlist strategies:

I have visited both campuses and already sent a LOCI to the one in which I am being considered and am currently writing another LOCI to send to the other school.

Is this pretty much the only strategy going forward?

I am also scheduled to write the June LSAT but both schools do not consider that.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RunawayJuryRunawayJury Alum Member
    143 karma

BUMP

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Hey! I am in a similar situation.

If schools aren't going to consider it...why not reapply? Getting waitlisted is encouraging because it shows that you are "admittable" to those schools. If you really want to go to any one of those schools, why not take in September and reapply with a better score? Chances are if you can increase two-three points, you will get in next cycle. Plus, it gives you an opportunity to develop a stronger application. Law Schools like older applicants (within reason, obliviously) because it shows that you are more mature and have taken time to gain work experience.

As for visits and LOCI, they seldom work as people would like. Truth is, law schools probably only want to admit a few more applicants and they are most likely going to do it based off numbers, regardless of what the schools actually say. Not only that, they are only going to admit people that they know will attend.

I would recommend that you forget about this cycle and focus your efforts on reapplying. I know it sucks but that is what I am doing. Glad to help if you have any other questions.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    Hey! I am in a similar situation.

If schools aren't going to consider it...why not reapply? Getting waitlisted is encouraging because it shows that you are "admittable" to those schools. If you really want to go to any one of those schools, why not take in September and reapply with a better score? Chances are if you can increase two-three points, you will get in next cycle. Plus, it gives you an opportunity to develop a stronger application. Law Schools like older applicants (within reason, obliviously) because it shows that you are more mature and have taken time to gain work experience.

As for visits and LOCI, they seldom work as people would like. Truth is, law schools probably only want to admit a few more applicants and they are most likely going to do it based off numbers, regardless of what the schools actually say. Not only that, they are only going to admit people that they know will attend.

I would recommend that you forget about this cycle and focus your efforts on reapplying. I know it sucks but that is what I am doing. Glad to help if you have any other questions.

Yeah, this seems pretty solid. Kill it in June and or later this year and reapply. I am sure if you can swing a higher LSAT, even by a few points, you will be in no problem. You got waitlisted rather than dinged, so I have faith next cycle will be much better for you.

I wouldn't completely give up on this cycle, because you never know if you'll be one of the people who gets in off the waitlist. Keep faith! :)

• RunawayJuryRunawayJury Alum Member
    143 karma

Thanks for both of your responses. I'm going to try my best in June and see how well I can do..it'll give me a better outlook for the next admissions cycle as well!