PT70.S1.Q6 - the thimble corporation recently distributed

Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
edited May 2017 in Logical Reasoning 877 karma

It's always the one star question that throws me for a loop...

This was a question I circled for BR and even after thoroughly reviewing it, I chose incorrectly (D).

The question gives us and a problem and principle.

Problem: Some of the rebate coupons that were distributed had an expiration date that was incorrect--it was too early. So some customers would unfairly believe that the rebate offer had already expired when it did not.

Principle: Anyone who creates an unfair situation has an obligation to rectify any unfair result of that situation.

So I definitely was attracted to C and D here. I can kind of see why C is a correct choice, but I am having an issue eliminating D.

D says that, since the corporation cannot identify all of the customers who were adversely affected by the incorrect expiration date, the corporation should deny the rebate to everyone who applied for it.

In real life, this seems harsh and kind of a ridiculous solution. But logically, would it not rectify any unfair result? There would be no unfairness because everyone gets treated the same way. No imbalance, no advantages, etc. The reason I liked D over C was because C presents a situation in which the corporation attempts to rectify the situation, but the principle does not say that the obligation is to attempt to rectify it. The principle says that the obligation IS to rectify it. Point blank. No excuses. Which is why D, although harsh, I feel is better justified. D presents a definitively equal situation while C presents an attempt at offering a fair result to whoever they are able to identify.

Any help would be much appreciated.
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-70-section-1-question-06/

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

Hey,

You are correct that according to "D" everyone would end up getting treated the same way because nobody would end up getting the rebate. In this way it is fair as nobody was treated in a different manner than other people.

But the "unfair result"according to stimulus was that some people did not apply because their coupon had an expiration date that was too early. According to our principle the corporation has an obligation to rectify "this unfair result" of some people not applying which answer choice "C" corrects. According to this people who did not apply because of the early expiration date would be identified and will be given the correct rebate.

I think answer choice "C" threw you off a bit because of the word "try". I think another word in this answer choice "obligated to try" fixes that ambiguity. The corporation is obligated to try to rectify this unfair result.

I hope that helped. : )