Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

cvo1cvo1 Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 112 karma

Hey everyone! I was planning on taking the June LSAT, but decided to push back to September because I've had a pretty hard time balancing full-time work and studying. I planned a trip to Tokyo a while ago (before I even started studying for the LSAT), and I'd be coming back a week before the September LSAT. Would it be a bad idea to take the September exam? I'd be in Japan from September 2-9, and the test is on September 16. I plan on taking September 11-15 off from work to rest and prep some more.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think missing an entire week of prep before the exam might be a dicey move. However, if you managed to get some prep work in and were at a comfortable spot before the trip, I think you could swing it. It will all depend on where you're at before the trip.

• cvo1cvo1 Alum Member
    112 karma

@"Alex Divine" if only I could predict the future... I'm concerned that the trip would ruin the exam, and the exam would ruin the trip LOL.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cvo1 said:
    @"Alex Divine" if only I could predict the future... I'm concerned that the trip would ruin the exam, and the exam would ruin the trip LOL.

Yeah, haha! It's totally one of those sticky situations. Is there anyway you could postpone the trip until after the LSAT?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I think it depends on how quickly you can recover from jet lag. Assuming that you live in the U.S., 13+ hour time difference and 10+ hour flights can be tough for some people. But if you are a frequent traveller, I wouldn't worry too much. :)

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I also think it depends on your level of preparedness. If you are as prepared as you could possibly be, then it may be good for your mental state. But if you aren't and you need that time to study, I would advise against it

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

On a side note, September in Tokyo is still unbearably hot, so I should choose October or November. :wink:

• LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma

A trip may provide a welcome break to recharge you before the test. I've noticed that I often perform better on practice tests shortly after I've taken a vacation. Also, how long will you be able to readjust from the time difference?

• cvo1cvo1 Alum Member
    112 karma

@"Alex Divine" unfortunately, no refunds :(
    @akistotle @LSATman1 I'm not sure how long I'd take to readjust to the time difference. It'll be my first time out of the country! It sounds like the vacation could either be a great thing or a horrible thing, depending on how prepared I am.

• LanecahaLanecaha Alum Member
    27 karma

@cvo1 I would consider the cost of cancelling the trip (no refund) versus the cost of retaking the LSAT in October or December if you're not happy with your score...If you're applying next cycle I think most schools will still accept December scores. You could also squeeze in a few PTs and other drills in transit (long flights = great time to force yourself to study) to make the most of your time off from work. As you and others have said, it really depends on how prepared you feel.