Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do

AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
edited May 2017 in General 236 karma

Got nowhere to go. Need advice. I'm preparing for the Sept/ Dec 2017 test while working a demanding full time position at a law firm. This has put a significant strain on me to the point that I'm doing poorly in both despite all the incredible time and effort I've expended. I'm doing so poorly that I'm at risk of losing my job. I was told I have a month to see if things improve otherwise I'd be let go. I'm certain that my studying is the reason my performance has significantly declined. I honestly don't want to continue working knowing how important the test is but the only thing keeping me is the fact that I know I won't be able to get a reference for when it comes time to find a summer internship during law school. Most probably I'd be better off not listing this position, which now amounts to about a year and six months worth of experience, on my resume at all. If I were to stay and work, I know I could salvage myself so that I can make up for the drop in performance since I began studying. I just don't know if that's worth getting a low test score. I've already put off applying to law school for a while now and given what I've been through, which I don't want to get into, I couldn't wait another cycle even if I wanted to. I can see definite improvement with my score in the coming 4 months but it will really demand my fullest attention. Is it worth sacrificing my position now and putting myself at a significant disadvantage in finding another job so that I can devote myself to the test?

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 10779 karma

It's not worth getting a low score at all. You can get accepted to great law schools with a high score and without a recommendation from this firm. You will also most likely get internships based on what law school you end up going to and what rank you have in your class. This firm really does not matter in that regard.

Now consider this. You have a low score but a great recommendation. It's possible that you can still get into a great law school but the statistics will say otherwise.

I think overall you have a better chance of getting into your dream school if you ditch this place and study and getting a high score than getting a low score. Moreover, the stress of this place is not worth it. You have better plans and more important things to focus on like LSAT and your future law degree and career <3.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1997 karma

I agree ^. The higher score is more important. As long as you can find another job to pay your bills, I wouldn't lose any sleep about losing the job just because you won't get a LoR. The only exception with my last statement is if you don't have any LoR from previous jobs or from professors. I think if you still had 2 LoR from your UG or from another professional gig (I don't know how many years out of UG you are), nobody will bat an eye that you don't include an LoR from your current employer.

• AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
    236 karma

Thank you both for your responses. But the thing is I'm not concerned about getting a letter of recommendation for law school so much as I'm concerned about getting a reference for future jobs.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Aidoe said:
    Got nowhere to go. Need advice. I'm preparing for the Sept/ Dec 2017 test while working a demanding full time position at a law firm. This has put a significant strain on me to the point that I'm doing poorly in both despite all the incredible time and effort I've expended. I'm doing so poorly that I'm at risk of losing my job. I was told I have a month to see if things improve otherwise I'd be let go. I'm certain that my studying is the reason my performance has significantly declined. I honestly don't want to continue working knowing how important the test is but the only thing keeping me is the fact that I know I won't be able to get a sterling reference for when it comes time to find a summer internship during law school. Most probably I'd be better off not listing this position, which now amounts to about a year and six months worth of experience, on my resume at all. But if I were to stay and work, I know I could salvage myself so that I can make up for the drop in performance since I began studying. I just don't know if that's worth getting a low test score. I've already put off applying to law school for a while now and given what I've been through, which I don't want to get into, I couldn't wait another cycle even if I wanted to. I can see definite improvement with my score in the coming 4 months but it will really demand my fullest attention. Is it worth sacrificing my position now and putting myself at a significant disadvantage in finding another job so that I can devote myself to the test?

Hey Aidoe,

I experienced a similar predicament earlier this year, though I worked in bulge bracket banking, not law (similar hours I'm sure). My prep was going so poorly that it diminished to the point of being non- existent. While my work product didn't suffer as much, my mental health did. Eventually I decided to choose the LSAT over the job. The only silver lining was it was before my work product suffered too much.

My only advice is to make sure you have another source of revenue or job lined up before you leave. It's a lot easier to find a job when you're already employed.

1.5 years at a law firm will be enough to give you a leg up at OCI and finding employment during and after law school. When finding an SA/job during law school it's doubtful you will need a professional reference from this firm. It's a nice connection to keep if you can, but if you absolutely must apply this cycle, no doubt the LSAT should come before anything and everything.

You have ~6.5 months until the December administration. Try to salvage yourself at work while finding another job that will allow you to prep in the meantime.

Lastly, beware of the false dilemma that you have to apply this cycle. You said you didn't want to get into it, and I respect that. I just want you to know that you ALWAYS have a choice. No matter what forces you are up against.

Stay strong and keep working towards your goal!

Good luck :)

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

@Aidoe said:
    Thank you both for your responses. But the thing is I'm not concerned about getting a letter of recommendation for law school so much as I'm concerned about getting a reference for future jobs.

I just talked to a friend who worked at a firm for a year before 1l at a prestigious law school. They didn't get a job at that same firm for this summer but they did get an offer at another (better) firm. Don't put all your eggs in one basket in other words. It sucks to leave a place you've been working at for so long on a bad note especially if it's in your chosen field. So you might consider improving your performance at your current job or otherwise leaving on a good note. However, what Sami said above is absolutely true. A good LSAT score will give you the best shot at a good law school/having options to attend the right fit for you. So you can't half ass your prep. Postponing another cycle may not be a bad idea but it also might not be necessary depending on where you're scoring and where you want to score and if you decide to ditch. Tough predicament you're in. Hopefully we've helped a little bit.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Hi there; sorry to hear you're in this predicament. Speaking from a former HR Manager perspective, have you told your current boss why your job performance has been suffering? Did they do a seek to understand discussion with you? If not, it may help to let them know you've been studying for the LSAT and that's why you have't been performing well. IMO I would then go ahead and resign while ensuring they understand you are doing this in the company's interest. Tell them you'd like to focus on your studies and ensure the company/department finds an associate who has the time to dedicate 110% to the position. I would even offer to give as much advance notice as possible to train a replacement. If they are understanding, it may work to your advantage and it will look on you favorably that you were honest and are only resigning because you want what is best for the company. That way you can still put your all in for these last few months of study and walk away with a positive letter of recommendation.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10779 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Hi there; sorry to hear you're in this predicament. Speaking from a former HR Manager perspective, have you told your current boss why your job performance has been suffering? Did they do a seek to understand discussion with you? If not, it may help to let them know you've been studying for the LSAT and that's why you have't been performing well. IMO I would then go ahead and resign while ensuring they understand you are doing this in the company's interest. Tell them you'd like to focus on your studies and ensure the company/department finds an associate who has the time to dedicate 110% to the position. I would even offer to give as much advance notice as possible to train a replacement. If they are understanding, it may work to your advantage and it will look on you favorably that you were honest and are only resigning because you want what is best for the company. That way you can still put your all in for these last few months of study and walk away with a positive letter of recommendation.

I love this advice! I think this may work. <3

1997 karma

@Aidoe said:

Sorry for misunderstanding! Either way, I think your law school letters of recommendation (from professors) will be more important than an old boss anyway. For SA positions and first year out of law school, your performance in law school and personality will likely be enough to land you a position.

I would recommend looking into @tringo335 's advice though. That sounds like the best way to handle it. Even if you do end up parting ways because of this, if you have someone you're close to they might still offer you a LoR despite parting ways.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

If you are worried about letters of recommendation, I think most law schools prefer to see letters from professors or lecturers who know to your academic work even if you are out of school for a while. I believe that the stature of the writer is irrelevant and that it's not necessary to have a letter from an attorney.

Good luck :smile:

236 karma

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate it

edited May 2017 236 karma

I think I'll take the plunge. Quit, rely solely on my savings, and study my life out for the next few months. Hopefully, I'll find a job as soon as I finish with the test. May not have much saved up for law school, but I'll rely solely on my score for financial aid. This is such a huge risk, but I'm willing to take it to get into a top school, even if that means I'll be in debt.

1997 karma

@Aidoe said:
    I think I'll take the plunge. Quit, rely solely on my savings, and study my life out for the next few months. Hopefully, I'll find a job as soon as I finish with the test. May not have much saved up for law school, but I'll rely solely on my score for financial aid. This is such a huge risk, but I'm willing to take it to get into a top school, even if that means I'll be in debt.

Before we go "yay debt" and rely on loans.. what are your career goals after law school? Are you looking at PI work or big law for example?

I still think it's a great idea to talk to your HR team before up and quitting, especially if funds may dry up in the near future. If they aren't happy about you studying maybe they could move you to a less stressful position with less of a time commitment? Or go to part time to at least help pay bills? If they aren't helpful then quitting would be a decent fall out plan. I also think studying full time (more than say, 8 hours a day) will lead to burnout.. so maybe find a part time job to work a few hours a day for a few days per week to mitigate the impact to your savings as much as possible, and to give your mind a chance to recover.

edited May 2017 236 karma

@Mellow_Z Thanks for the suggestions. It's a small firm so there's no chance of being moved to a less stressful position. I still think the issue hinges not on debt but on not having a strong reference for future legal prospects. A law firm position that's occupied a year and six months of my life will warrant a reference in the eyes of all my future employers, and I just don't know if it would be worth listing on my resume at all if I get anything less than a good review. That's my real fear.

1997 karma

@Aidoe said:
    @Mellow_Z Thanks for the suggestions. It's a small firm so there's no chance of being moved to a less stressful position. I still think the issue hinges not on debt but on not having a strong reference for future legal prospects. A law firm position that's occupied a year and six months of my life will warrant a reference in the eyes of all my future employers, and I just don't know if it would be worth listing on my resume at all if I get anything less than a good review. That's my real fear.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

Go post your question on this forum. You will get advice from people who are actually in law firms and can provide their opinion as they sometimes do hiring and may have been in your position. We are mostly students at 7sage, who haven't experienced legal hiring yet. TLS has a lot of employed and professionals that are always helpful.