PT54.S2.Q21 - most people who become migraine sufferers

ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
edited May 2017 in Logical Reasoning 156 karma

hi, can someone explain why answer choice e isnt a match? I'm still not 100% sure after BRing and watching the explination vid.
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-54-section-2-question-21/

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

E doesn't have any flawed reasoning. It isn't the correct answer because the statement that E is making is correct. But we aren't looking for correct reasoning, we are looking for a flawed method of reasoning in the same instance as our stimulus.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

This is an important question that I carry in my notebook and the example I dispense to intuitively grasp what is wrong with the argument is as follows:
    -Most professional bull riders are people from Texas
    -Therefore most people from Texas are professional bull riders.

When the reasoning is brought down to something we know in reality is patently false, we can see right through the absurdity.

The two sets are quite different.

(E) tells us that of the entire universe of puppies most are taken away from their mother at 8 weeks, let's say 70%. Therefore if we find a puppy that is 8 weeks 1 day and beyond, it is likely to have been taken from their mother. Knowing what we know about the set of all puppies, this actually is a decent argument. The argument stays within sets. It would be more like the stimulus if the latter portion of the argument extended to encompass all things that were taken away from their mother at 8 weeks and then concluded that most of them were puppies, but it did not.

I hope this explanation helps, any further questions don’t hesitate to reach out, this is an argument form that really pay dividends to know well.

David