Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admission Cycle and Re-applying

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
in General 5320 karma

I'm set for the December test but financial aid is important to me. I know that, generally speaking, there is less money available later in the admission cycle (also less spots available). My main focus is on improving my score, but I am wondering if anyone has researched re-applications?

Say I apply in Jan '18 when the score comes back. Maybe I get into the school I want but without aid or without much. Would a school react if I held off and re-applied in the Summer/Fall of '18? Would I get the benefit of the earlier admission timing?

Also, am I just over-thinking all of this?

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1997 karma

They won't hold it against you. Just be kind and email the schools that you apply to and let them know that you are going to hold off on applying a cycle if you do decide to sit out. If you wait until the next cycle and apply early, then yes you will have the benefit of applying early.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@Mellow_Z Thanks!

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

From Podcast(Thinking about the LSAT) , I would say the timing is not so important. 1)if you can hit high 160s- low 170s, you will in good position in negotiating the financial aid. Some non-T14 schools like Emory take June test in consideration of scholarship. 2)Law schools are more likely to negotiate on scholarship once you get admission by other same tier of schools.It's a buyer market now.

Here's the link of the podcast: http://www.thinkinglsat.com/blog/

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dennisgerrard said:

From Podcast(Thinking about the LSAT) , I would say the timing is not so important. 1)if you can hit high 160s- low 170s, you will in good position in negotiating the financial aid. Some non-T14 schools like Emory take June test in consideration of scholarship. 2)Law schools are more likely to negotiate on scholarship once you get admission by other same tier of schools.It's a buyer market now.

Here's the link of the podcast: http://www.thinkinglsat.com/blog/

Just the blog I was thinking of... If you have the scores, there will always be money for you, essentially.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@dennisgerrard @"Alex Divine" sweet! thanks for the info guys!

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yep, and some school may even offer you a nonbinding deferral. Just be sure to clarify it is nonbinding. I've just had to go through all of this, for personal not financial reasons, and most schools were very accommodating. It could have been because of my circumstance, but a nice letter and a few calls is all that was needed. Plus a lot of the old rules about applying early for more money do not seem to come into play as much as in the past, especially when as mentioned before, you have the LSAT to back it up and now because people can have more takes, I make a bet the cycle will be even later, as more people will be able to take Febs to bump their scores.