Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool Proofing LG and it's positive side effects

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
in Logic Games 5320 karma

1) Super speed Lawgic translations as a result of all those in/out games.
2) Managing panic from subtle inference questions and weird games
3) Reading "with my pencil down". Extremely careful reading and tactile comprehension.

Yeah. So fool-proofing LG can contribute to other, transferrable aspects of the test. I've basically committed the past 6 weeks to the bundle while "neglecting" LR and RC. But now, as I mix in some those sections, I find that the habits I've instilled from LG remain regardless of the section.

Keep on pushing ya'll. If you're aiming for Dec like me, it's not too late to master games. Good luck!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    1) Super speed Lawgic translations as a result of all those in/out games.
    2) Managing panic from subtle inference questions and weird games
    3) Reading "with my pencil down". Extremely careful reading and tactile comprehension.

Yeah. So fool-proofing LG can contribute to other, transferrable aspects of the test. I've basically committed the past 6 weeks to the bundle while "neglecting" LR and RC. But now, as I mix in some those sections, I find that the habits I've instilled from LG remain regardless of the section.

Keep on pushing ya'll. If you're aiming for Dec like me, it's not too late to master games. Good luck!

Thanks man! Kind of needed to hear this as I am aiming for December!

It took about 6 weeks to fool proof the bundle?

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

Great observations! I didn't consciously take note of it when I was fool proofing, but now that you say it, the skills learned from endless LG proofing really are transferable to other aspects of the test in the ways you describe.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Very true. Everything is pretty complementary on the LSAT in regards to skills required to perform well on each section.

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

Thanks for sharing! Right now I am fool proofing the questions that JY used in the Core Curriculum.

During the fool proofing, should we choose the right answer and immediately move on like what we do in exam, and prove the rest in BR, or try to prove all answer?

Also, has anyone thought about fool proofing RC?

Thanks!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2017 5320 karma

@"Alex Divine" nah man lol I'm on PT 24 and I haven't technically met my personal bar of "fool proof" for the each game I've seen so far. In order for me to mark a game full-proofed, I need to complete it in/under time and -0 and feel great about it 3 times in a row with at least a week between the final 2 attempts.I'm just now seeing encouraging progress towards all games in under 35 minutes. I'd love to make this a -0 to -2 section and that's my goal but I still have a ways to go.

During the fool proofing, should we choose the right answer and immediately move on like what we do in exam, and prove the rest in BR, or try to prove all answer?

@sjiang666 If you're thinking about how you'd like to approach LG fool-proofing, check out this post.

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

Pacifico basically wrote the standard approach that most seem to start with. Once you begin, feel free to make it your own by, for example, defining what a "fool proofed" game is to you (see my personal definition above). So in terms of your question, that will depend on you and where you are in your LG abilities and how you want to structure your studies.

In my LG quest, I started out struggling to get any game under 10 minutes and -0. I really needed to focus on seeing the deeper structure within games and learning/identifying/applying inferences. So in my first take of a new game, I pretty much approached it as BR. I used a stop watch and tracked my time but only so I had a starting point to track future progress against. I didn't employ the type of high-level tactics you mention because I felt I needed to crawl before I ran. I did, however, take note of all those tactics JY mentions in the videos. I have flashcards listing LG Best Practices for game board setup, inferences, and strategies. So when once I started to get more comfortable in games, I did begin to employ those tactics.

Now not only do I use those tactics on the first go, but I also do complete sections of LG so I can skip games/questions. I still work without a time constraint, but I do time myself.

Basically my approach has been: don't try to learn too much at the same time.

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

@jkatz1488 Thanks for the the link of Pacifico's discussion! It helps a lot. :smiley:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jkatz1488 said:

@"Alex Divine" nah man lol I'm on PT 24 and I haven't technically met my personal bar of "fool proof" for the each game I've seen so far. In order for me to mark a game full-proofed, I need to complete it in/under time and -0 and feel great about it 3 times in a row with at least a week between the final 2 attempts.I'm just now seeing encouraging progress towards all games in under 35 minutes. I'd love to make this a -0 to -2 section and that's my goal but I still have a ways to go.

@sjiang666 If you're thinking about how you'd like to approach LG fool-proofing, check out this post.

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

Pacifico basically wrote the standard approach that most seem to start with. Once you begin, feel free to make it your own by, for example, defining what a "fool proofed" game is to you (see my personal definition above). So in terms of your question, that will depend on you and where you are in your LG abilities and how you want to structure your studies.

In my LG quest, I started out struggling to get any game under 10 minutes and -0. I really needed to focus on seeing the deeper structure within games and learning/identifying/applying inferences. So in my first take of a new game, I pretty much approached it as BR. I used a stop watch and tracked my time but only so I had a starting point to track future progress against. I didn't employ the type of high-level tactics you mention because I felt I needed to crawl before I ran. I did, however, take note of all those tactics JY mentions in the videos. I have flashcards listing LG Best Practices for game board setup, inferences, and strategies. So when once I started to get more comfortable in games, I did begin to employ those tactics.

Now not only do I use those tactics on the first go, but I also do complete sections of LG so I can skip games/questions. I still work without a time constraint, but I do time myself.

Basically my approach has been: don't try to learn too much at the same time.

Thanks man! Seems like you got a good plan going that's going to get you down to as close to -0 as possible.