PT18.S4.Q10 - almost all of the books published in the past 150

rogersalexandra7rogersalexandra7 Alum Member
edited June 2017 in Logical Reasoning 213 karma

So I chose B because this is true almost all of the books from the past 150 will gradually destroy themselves. it says in the stimulus that it will slow down the process it doesn't say that it will reverse the deterioration and I didn't choose A because I thought "completely" was too strong and in the stimulus it seemed to me that the historically insignificant books could still have a chance of survival because they could be put in a cool, dry environment and then it says that the books of historical significance will have the new techniques but it doesn't say the insignificant books wouldn't be placed in the cool dry environment. Can someone please explain the reasoning of this question? TYA!!!!
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-18-section-4-question-10/

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2017 5320 karma

Below is my question analysis from back when I encountered this question in the curriculum. It's posted in the comments so maybe you saw it and it wasn't helpful. If that's the case, let me know.

Argument Paraphrase:

Published in last 150 years -most-> acidic paper --> gradually destroys itself
    Deterioration can be slowed in cool, dry place
    Deacidify techniques are being developed but will only be used on historical books

Prephrase possibilities:

If you're not a historical book and you were published in the last 150 years, you will most likely destroy yourself over time.

AC Reasoning:

A: Sounds right. I hate that it's the first AC on such a tough question though. I'm going to look at the remaining AC. Correct.

B: I left this AC here the first time but we don't know what proportion of the books are historically significant or are being stored in cool, dry environments. Eliminate.

C: This inverts the conditional. Maybe parchment and every other type destroys itself as well. Eliminate.

D : We are only talking about books published within the last 150 years. This puts us outside of that scope. Eliminate.

E: Rate of deterioration? We don't have any info on this. Eliminate.