Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS and DS topics linked

KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member

I've been reading through the 7sage admission course, and have reached the strange conclusion that I'm 1. more diverse/weird than I thought, and 2. I no longer know which diverse/weird part about myself should be relegated to the PS or the DS.

For the DS, I'm 100% a non-traditional student. I was primarily homeschooled (unschooled?... google it), but am also non-traditional in that I'm an older applicant. I'm only a few years above the "average" starting age for LS (26 when I would actually start), but am applying to LS as a career change. I got a master's in one field, have worked in that field for a few years, and want to get away from it. I know I need to address the career change in my application, but I'm not sure if a quarter-life career shift is more of DS topic, or a PS. I feel like I could finesse being homeschooled or doing a career change/being older could be a DS or PS.

Thoughts?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Katharine said:
    I've been reading through the 7sage admission course, and have reached the strange conclusion that I'm 1. more diverse/weird than I thought, and 2. I no longer know which diverse/weird part about myself should be relegated to the PS or the DS.

For the DS, I'm 100% a non-traditional student. I was primarily homeschooled (unschooled?... google it), but am also non-traditional in that I'm an older applicant. I'm only a few years above the "average" starting age for LS (26 when I would actually start), but am applying to LS as a career change. I got a master's in one field, have worked in that field for a few years, and want to get away from it. I know I need to address the career change in my application, but I'm not sure if a quarter-life career shift is more of DS topic, or a PS. I feel like I could finesse being homeschooled or doing a career change/being older could be a DS or PS.

Thoughts?

I think it sounds more like a PS rather than a DS. Being 26 in law school isn't all that diverse at all and people coming to law school after working in another field for a few years isn't really either. However, both could be more PS topics depending on how you write it.

I think being homeschooled could certainly be something to include in your DS if you can articulate how it makes you diverse and whatnot.

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

@"Alex Divine" thanks for the input! When I started studying for the LSAT, I didn't think I was abnormally old for it. But then when I took it, I was surrounded by a bunch of 19 year olds and suddenly I felt ancient. I'll keep that as part of my PS (my original plan before my neurotic freakout), and I'll decide about the homeschooling stuff for my DS accordingly. Again, thank you!