Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use as DS Topic or No?

Hey everyone, I was looking for some advice regarding writing a diversity statement. I wasn't originally going to write one, since I am a white, upper-middle class female who hasn't experienced too much hardship in my life for the most part. However, the admissions course includes: "you were or are burdened with an unusual responsibility" as a topic for diversity statements, and I was wondering if y'all believe my situation would apply:

Not to go into too much detail, but I was in a serious relationship with someone who struggled with a severe addiction disorder. It greatly affected my personal and professional life because I was primarily the only person who was there to take care of my partner. I'm just not sure if that admissions officers would see that experience the same as taking care of a sibling or parent with addiction. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@rebeccasunshine said:
    Hey everyone, I was looking for some advice regarding writing a diversity statement. I wasn't originally going to write one, since I am a white, upper-middle class female who hasn't experienced too much hardship in my life for the most part. However, the admissions course includes: "you were or are burdened with an unusual responsibility" as a topic for diversity statements, and I was wondering if y'all believe my situation would apply:

Not to go into too much detail, but I was in a serious relationship with someone who struggled with a severe addiction disorder. It greatly affected my personal and professional life because I was primarily the only person who was there to take care of my partner. I'm just not sure if that admissions officers would see that experience the same as taking care of a sibling or parent with addiction. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I think it all comes down to being able to articulate how this experience makes you a diverse candidate. Just keep that in mind while writing the DS and I think this topic is definitely doable.

• 41 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thanks! Honestly, I think that I shouldn't have a problem explaining how my situation makes me diverse. Just wanted to make sure it would be an appropriate topic :smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@rebeccasunshine said:
    @"Alex Divine" Thanks! Honestly, I think that I shouldn't have a problem explaining how my situation makes me diverse. Just wanted to make sure it would be an appropriate topic :smile:

That's great to hear and really one of the few things that matter when thinking of DS ideas! I bet it's going to be great :)

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@rebeccasunshine thanks for asking this. There has been at least one other thread recently on this same topic "does my experience count?"... that's how I interpret your question anyway. Just like @"Alex Divine" said, this topic is definitely doable so long as you convey how it makes you a diverse candidate.

I think the admissions groups are using a broader term for "diversity" than most of us do. It seems to me that they want to know what makes you different. How have your life experiences shaped you in a way that is unique to you. Having lived a comfortable life doesn't preclude you from having a story to tell. Indeed, one can imagine how being personally involved in a loved one's addiction disorder could have been a severe jolt to your otherwise comfortable reality. And perhaps that jolt was the catalyst for some change in your character or view on the world. I'll encourage you to write on the topic and not be timid about whether your statement "counts". Just be sure to do it well!

• 41 karma

@jkatz1488 Looking at it that way, I think it makes sense for me to write about it. I definitely feel much more confident about my topic choice now!